Supreme Mongol - Genghis Khan
Batu Khan decides to take on Russia; only successful invasion of Russia
left Russia alone because of negotiation of Alexander Nevsky
When is the Feast of the Intercession?
Middle of October
it was elevated to a holiday by Andrei Bogolyubsky
Descended from one of the three legendary brothers.
from Rurikovich Dynasty
built Cathedral of the Transfiguration
What calendar do we use?
What calendar does the Russian Church still use?
How many days behind is it to hours?
We use the Gregorian Calendar after Pope Gregory
They use the Julian Calendar after Julius Caeser
The Julian Calendar is 14 days behind
Cathedral of Dormition
built by Andrei Bogolyubsky
burned and cracked and rebuilt upon by Prince Vsevolod III, half brother to Andrei Bogolybsky
enclosed the church and made it bigger
When did WWII begin?
September 1, 1939
Son of Yury Dolgoruky
build Church of the Intercession
Lasting effects of Mongol Invasion
1. established central authority
2. Mongols were happy to coexist with Russian Church
3. Mongols weren't interested in colonizing, only wanted taxes
4. Mongols delegated tax collecting to favorite Russian prince - Moscow
Hitler's Attack on Soviet Union
June 22, 1941
What and when was the first major defeat of Hitler's army?
Battle of Moscow Fall 1941
veil of Mary Mother of God
What did Andrei Bogolyubsky do?
he wasn't interested in ruling Kiev, he liked Vladimirl; so he sent troops to sack Kiev
Cathedral of St. Dmitry
built as personal Church to Prince Vsevolod III
has blind arcades - arched forms on solid wall
lots of carvings
1. on west facade - King David
2. on south facade - epiphany of Christ, King Solomon, Alexander the Great being lifted to heaven