Flashcards in deck_3145041 (1) Deck (27):
State Legislative Branch Characteristics
1. It has a name 2. Bicameral3. Session 4. Committees
What is the name of the TN Legislative Branch
Tennessee General Assembly
What does it mean that the State Legislative Branch is bicameral?
It has a1. House of Representatives-992. Senate-33
What are the primary functions of the State Legislative Branch?
1. Make laws 2. Provide a forum for debate2. To secure financing for the operation of the State Government
Who elects the Constitutional Officers
Qualifications for the TN State Senate
1. 30 years old2. U.S. citizen3. Lived in TN for 3 years4. Lived in the district for 1 year
What is the Lieutenant Governor's power?
1. He succeeds if the governor dies or can't serve, which hasn't happened in TN2. Presides over all sessions of Senate3. Appoints all committees 4. Is a member of all standing committees
Deals with guardianships and estates
Courts of Limited Jurisdiciton
1. Juvenile Court 2. Municipal Courts
Interpret and apply the ordinances of a town
Elected by the people
Sheriff's Primary Duties
1. Preserve the peace 2. Maintain the jail 3. Serve court orders
Elected by the people
County Mayor's Duties
1. In charge of the counties property 2. Must prepare a report on the counties financial situation
What do the County Commissioners serve as
The Legislative Body
County Commission's Duties
1. Set tax rates2. Prepare the county budget
1. Collects the counties taxes2. Pays the counties debts 3. Responsible for investing extra funds
How many members are in the House of Representatives?
How long do the House of Representatives serve?
Two year term
How does the reelection work in the House of Representatives?
They are all up for reelection at the same time
Qualifications for the House of Representatives
1. Must be 21 years old2. US citizen3. Must have lived in TN for 3 years4. Lived in district they will represent for 1 year
What is the House's Unique Power
All impeachment proceedings must begin in the House
How long is the Executive Branch Term
4 yearsCannot serve more than 8 years consecutively
Qualifications for the Executive Branch Term
1. Must be 30 years old 2. U.S. citizen 3. Tennessee citizen for 7 years
What are cabinet members called?
Purpose of the Judicial Branch
1. Interpret law2. Settle disputes