Flashcards in Effective Supervisory Deck (223)
Action request can be categorized in these four categories;
1. Do it
2. Delegate it
3. Defer it
4. Delete it
*- If the task only takes a minute , just do it!
- If the task should be assigned to someone else -
- If the task cannot be completed quickly or delegated -
- If the task requires no response or action or becomes old -
Delegate it! Also set deadline and follow up dates
Defer it! - Make a appt to get the task done
Checking emails ___ _____times a day is usually enough.
- Conquer _________
2 to 3
Some people are ______ by tight deadlines so they wait until the last minute to start working on a project.
- Others may be _______ by a particularly tough project so they put it off in favor of a more familiar easier project.
- Others are ______ by perfectionism that interferes with getting the job started or finished.
There are four basic types of meetings;
Daily check in
Staff tactical meeting
Monthly strategic meeting
- Daily check in -
generally brief and only covers a single subject. Ex... Give assignment for the day
focuses on tactical issues and is likely to last 45 to 90 mins. Should start by team members providing brief report on two to three highest priority task assigned.
-Staff tactical meeting
- Monthly strategic meeting -
used to analyze and make decisions on critical issues that will affect the department in critical ways
2 hours per topic
-used to look at the organization as a whole. May involve staff beyond your immediate team.
Maximize your time in meetings;
- Create an agenda - Name and group in meeting , date, start and end time. Then list each topic for discussion.
- Distribute the agenda - at least on day in advance, if review a long document release in advance so members can review prior to the
- Chair the meeting - Manage both the time and the topics of he meeting.
- Listen - Everyone has opportunity to be heard.
- Summarize the outcomes, actions, and responsibility - key points
- Prepare your next meeting - ASAP read meeting notes and prepare next meeting
The ______ is where an organization allocates its resources to accomplish it vision and carry out agreed upon strategic priorities.
And in most governments the _____ ultimately determines the level of taxation.
* for both questions
Sometimes coincides with calendar year, but just as often it does not
Preparation for any fiscal year budget and begin as much as 5 to 8 months prior to the onset of the fiscal year
Fiscal year -
the term used to describe the annual (twelve month) budget cycle.
- Three Functions of the budget;
Generally state law defines the steps for approving annual budget, it binds you and other government employees to work within a
Generally, state law defines the steps for approving an annual balanced budget so that expenditures don't exceed revenues for the fiscal year
* a function of budget
One of your budget responsibilities is to educate public official and the CAO about what you need to in order to get the job they
want to do. Once budget is set, your role is to constantly examine service delivery methods to ensure that they are as efficient as possible
The budget - Priorities for fiscal year, Provides a roadmap for carrying out program and policy objectives set by elected officials, Serves for resource for future years, A well designed and carefully administered annual budget helps local government think about the future. Some agencies plan multi year budgets.
Most local governments have two types of budgets;
Operating budget -
Covers revenue estimates and planned expenditures for the year for all ongoing government activities.
Capital Budget .
- Covers revenue sources and planned expenditures for nonrecurring, multi year items such as construction, equipment
acquisition, or improvement of public facilities.
The _____ and ______ budgets are sometimes combined into a single budget document for the current fiscal year to show all current ________, but they are generally developed ________ and considered as two distinct budgets by elected officials
Operation and Capital
Most common form of operating budgets are-
line item budget
- Organizes financial information into categories of expenditure for each department, division, or agency. Generally their are
two broad expenditure categories salaries and other expenses.
- Line item budget
It is the most traditional budget format and is often used by smaller local governments
line Item Budget:
- Offers clear explanation of what will be purchased and helps elected officials compare the new budget with previous budgets
- Most traditional budget format and usually used by small local government.
- presents financial information according to services to be provided ( street sweeping, solid waste)
- Focus on program goals and outcomes rather than expense category
- Many large and medium size local government use program budget
- Grant funded activities that cross departmental lines are best presented in program format
- Describes the amount of services provided by money spent ( list a number of miles of street be swept for per cost)
- Easier to use than in the past because of technology
- Many governments use a combination of formats in budgets
- Capital Budget - Capital portion of local government annual budget is often
drawn from the___ ___ ____ .
capital improvement plan (CIP).
CIP is a:
multiyear plan for
financing major equipment or infrastructure