Flashcards in Explorers Study Guide - 3rd grade Deck (20):
Who is an explorer?
A person who travels seeking new discoveries.
What does European mean?
A person from one of the countries of Europe.
What does it mean to colonize?
To establish a colony
What is a colony?
A group of emigrants who settle in a distant land but remain connected with the parent country.
Where was Christopher Columbus from?
Where was Juan Ponce De Leon from?
Where was Jacques Cartier from?
Where was Christopher Newport from?
Why did Christopher Columbus want to explore?
To find a western sea route to Asia.
Why did Juan Ponce De Leon want to explore?
To discover riches and land to conquer.
Why did Jacques Cartier want to explore?
To colonize the New World.
Why did Christopher Newport want to explore?
1. To discover riches
2. To find a western route to Asia
3. To colonize Virginia
What were Christopher Columbus' achievements/successes?
1. He was the first European to discover a sea route to America (Western Hemisphere)
2. He discovered the "New World" - he landed in San Salvador
What were Juan Ponce De Leon's achievements/successes?
1. He was the first European to land in Florida (near St. Augustine)
2. He gave Spain claim to Florida
What were Jacques Cartier's achievements/successes?
1. He explored the St. Lawrence River Valley
2. (near Quebec, Canada) gave France a North American claim
What were Christopher Newport's achievements/successes?
1. He arrived at present day Jamestown
2. He made 4 additional voyages bringing more people to Jamestown
3. He was one of the first men to reach the Fall Line of the James River.
Christopher Columbus landed in _____________.
Juan Ponce De Leon landed in _____________.
Florida near St. Augustine.
Jacques Cartier explored the _______________.
St. Lawrence River Valley (near Quebec, Canada)