Flashcards in France Pro-Natalist Policy Deck (11):
6 factors suppressing BR
Frequent births outside of marriage
Women pursuing careers
State benefits = don't need children to care for them in future
Aims of policy
- Gov wanted to increase BR and allow women to pursue careers with good support for children
What guaranteed the policy would be successful?
Other European countries had improved childcare and there had been a directly increase in fertility rate
How much is the payment of couples have 3rd child?
Up to £1064
How long is maternity leave for 3rd child and how much pay?
40 weeks on near full pay
What increased the purchasing power of 3 child families?
How much of a reduction on public transport? What was this card called?
30% reduction for 3 child families
'Carte Famille Nombreuse'
6 other aspects of policy
- Generous maternity grants
- 100% mortgage and preferential treatment in allocating 3 bedrooms council flats
- Tax benefits until youngest reaches 18
- Pension scheme for mothers
- Provision of crèches and day nurseries
- Nursing mothers encouraged to work part time or take weekly day off
3 successes of policy
- Highest FR in Europe 2.01 in 2014
- Near replacement level = steady population
- FR for Europe only 1.58 and Italy 1.4
How did gov make daycare cheaper?
Subsidised it for children under 3