Flashcards in York 2000 Deck (44)
6 physical causes of York flooding
- Catchment area
- Geology and Geomorphology
- Climate and rainfall
How big is the catchment area?
Which 3 rivers feed the Ouse?
Swale, Nidd and Ure
Which areas do the rivers feeding York drain?
Dales and Pennines
How does the relief contribute?
Upper course in dales steep = promotes faster runoff and less infiltration
How does the geology and geomorphology contribute?
Impermeable clay = can't infiltrate = more runoff
How does vegetation lead to flooding?
Heathers and moorland in upper basin = low interception rates
Deciduous trees lose leaves in winter
How did soils contribute to flooding?
Peat soils absorbed summer precipitation = stores full in late autumn = more run off
How did climate and rainfall lead to flooding?
Autumn 2000 wettest on record
Waters that flood York come from dales area where rain is heavy. Not from Ouse section as rain (640mm) = PET (540mm)
3 human causes of flooding
- Urban developments
- Climate change
How did farming lead to flooding?
- Upland areas for pastoral farming = grass for cattle = little interception.
- Arable farming in Vale of York = deforestation = no interception when crops harvested
How did urban developments lead to flooding?
- New housing, out of town shopping, industry, widening of A1
- Impermeable surfaces and drains carry water to Ouse quickly
- Developments on North of York, Clifton Moor
How did climate change lead to flooding?
- More extreme weather
- Led to series of deep depressions across Atlantic = rain
- Uk temps rising by 1-3 degrees over next 80 years = wetter winters
How much are temperatures rising in UK?
1-3 degrees over next 80 years
How many homes flooded?
Which area was badly affected?
Radcliffe badly affected
What had to close for months? Why?
Rowntrees park. Floodwaters had to be drained and play equipment hosed.
How many roads closed?
What fields were saturated ?
Knavesmire fields near racecourse saturated
6 social effects
1. Over 300 homes flooded
2. People had to leave home
3. Rowntrees park closed for month
4. Essential maintenance work on rail track delayed
5. Insurance companies treated people unfairly
How much more likely is there to be 5 days in a row with heavy winter rain in UK?
50-60% more likely of 5 days plus with heavy rain in UK compared to 1960
Two examples of businesses flooded
King's Head pub under water
City screen cinema
2 other infrastructure flooded
- City centre car parks
- Site of almost complete millennium footbridge south of centre of York
How much did it cost the City of York Council?
What was the biggest expense for the city of York
Protecting properties - sandbags
How much money spent on fire service
How much money spent on army
How much of the bill did city of York pay?
Reclaimed 1/2 bill from government
Overall cost of flooding
Over £1 billion