Flashcards in Immune  Deck (13):
Peyer's patches in the gut
favors the differentiation of Th0 into Tregs
- dont want crazy immune response in gut
Lots of Tfh that drive B cells to making IgA and mucus layer in gut is sterile
IL-17 and IL-23 are common in areas of ____
- hot heads
produced in response to stress/dmg
- 6 years olds
The recognition of normal organisms in the gut is mostly carried out by the innate immune sys. What does NOD2 do?
NOD2 is a PRR (pattern recognition receptor)
- detects bacterial cell wall
- triggers cytokine production
- activation of NF-kB
iTreg in gut is differentfrom Treg in thumus, how?
- iTreg induced by exposure to nl flora, prevent chronic inflammation that would result from Th1/2/17 recognizing nl commensal flora
--> knocked out = IBD
What comes first, Th1 or Th2?
Th1 comes first, bc if you cant kill it, you have Th2 as a last ditch reliance.
- Th1 is generally thought of immunity to parasites
After a serious gut infxn what 2 directions can the immune sys take?
if you lucky
- infxn resolves and Tregs become dominant again
- Th1 against commensals decrease
- gut is now rich in memory cells, but do not nlly get activated
If you unlucky (risky alleles)
- unable to suppress Th1 against commensals --> IBD
Celiac disease HLA type what? Why are these important MHC wise?
HLA DQ2, or HLA DQ8
- These class II MHC are uniquely able to present peptide derived from gliadin to Th1/Th17 cells
(nlly these peptides are too bulky to fit in MHC ag presenting grooves)
Dermatitis herpetiformis can result from ab to which enzyme?
Antibody to TTG2
- chronic skin infxn
How does Antibody to TTG2 result in Celiacs?
TTG2 tries to cleave highly branched/charged gliadin, and may get "stuck" and become unable to release its substrate.
WAIT NOW YOU HAVE A FOREIGN MOLECULE LINKED TO A SELF MOLECULE! yes. yes you do. You're fucked.
B cell thats anti-TTG2 takes up the complex and presents foreign gliadin peptides to Tfh, which helps the B cell make Ab to TTG2. (IgA)
Is celiacs disease itself autoimmune?
No, but dermatitis herpetiformis is.
5-50% of ______ pts have arthritis in 1 or more joints
- ask if they have bloody poop
- + diarrhea?