Flashcards in Quiz 3: Uric Acid Deck (5)
male = 3.5 - 7.2mg/dL
female = 2.6 - 6.0 mg/dL
Causes of Hyperuricemia
“Essential”: overproduction or underexcretion
Increased turnover of nucleic acids: myeloproliferative syndromes or chemotherapy
Specific enzyme defects
Treatment to Reduce Serum UA Levels
- Stop alcohol consumption.
- Replace thiazine with another antihypertensive drug.
- Use purine restricted diet (bland tasting and poor response)
- Lower body weight
Treatment of Gouty Arthritis
- Generic NSAIDs
- COX-2 selective inhibitor
- Intraarticular injection of corticosteroids (prednisone)