Flashcards in Quiz 4 Reverse Deck (45):
What schedule drug are androgens?
1. Wt gain2. Gynecomastia3. Cardiac - HF4. Liver problems 5. Suppression of clotting factors - inc. in PT6. Balls shrink, dec. spermies, impotence, prostatic hypertrophy7. Uterine atrophy, boobs shrink, thickened vocal cords, masculinization of F fetus8. Inc. Hgb & Hct9. Inc. sebum = inc. acne10. Male pattern baldness
What androgen can you buy OTC?
1. Estrogens2. Progestogens3. Androgens4. Glucocorticoids5. Mineralocorticoids
What 5 groups of molecules does the adrenal cortex secrete?
Pts receiving 20mg/day or more of prednisone (or equivalent)
Who is at highest risk of adrenal crisis?
1. Ppt/exacerbate osteoporosis2. Inc. glc3. Water retention4. Abnormal fat deposition5. Ocular effects - glaucoma w/ prolonged use6. Psychiatric - depression, euphoria, mood swings, personality changes
ADRs corticosteroids PO
1. Fludrocortisone (Mineralocorticoid)2. Hydrocortisone (Glucocorticoid)
1. Fluid retention (caution in HF)2. Hyperglycemia (caution in DM)3. Pts w/ electrolyte disturbances4. Pts w/ renal impairment 5. Adrenal suppression = immunosuppression
Watch out w/ Fludrocortisone
Eczema = more or less of a skin barrier?
Occluding the skin does what to absorption?
1. Dec. epidermal barrier function2. Inc. skin fragility3. Poor thermal regulation from dec. sweating4. Inc. surface area to body mass ratio compared to adults
Why do infants have a higher risk of systemic toxicity from topically applied substances?
1. Oxidative damage2. Cell senescence3. Amino acid racemization4. Nonenzymatic glycosylation of proteins5. Flattening of the dermal-epidermal junction, dec. cellularity, dec. dermal thickness, loss of vascular & lymphatic beds
1. Petrolatum-based vehicles2. Occlusion3. Hydration4. LubricationBest for dry skin - moisture & thick skin
Characteristics of ointments
1. Faster release of drug2. Little residue left behind
Characteristics of gels
1. Absorb moisture2. Dec. friction3. Poor adherence to skin4. Potential inhalation risk
Characteristics of powders
What is the most prescribed derm product?
1. High activity in skin2. Broken down rapidly systematically Works well w/ thin skin, inc. absorption w/ hydration & occlusion1. Fluticasone propionate (Cutivate)2. Prednicarbate (Dermatop)
What is good about "soft" glucocorticoids & what are they?
Corticosteroid risk in pregnancy?
1. Dermal atrophy from antiproliferative action2. Acne3. Hypertrichosis4. Pigment changes5. Infection6. Allergy
ADRs corticosteroids topically
RetinoidNight - photoinactivated Might inc. Vit D activity in skin
When should you apply Adapalene cream?
ex. Adapalene Cream1. Erythema2. Peeling, dryness3. Tightness & burningCYP2D6 - don't use w/ oral antifungals
1. Reduce oil production2. Speed up skin cell turnover3. Fight bacterial infections4. Dec. inflammation
Goals of acne Tx?
1. Retinoic acid2. Benzoyl peroxide3. Azelaic acid4. Sulfur/sodium sulfacetamide/resorcinol5. Salicylic acid6. Topical abx
Acne Tx Options
Stratum corneum/follicular openingsdec. bacteria - can't build resistance
Where does benzoyl peroxide work?
1. Leprosy2. Pemphigus vulgaris3. PCP for acne - Aczone
What do you use Dapsone for?
Are topical abx needed for minor surgery?
1. Mafenide - inc. risk for candida2. Silver sulfadiazine
What abx do you use for Tx of burns?
1. Bacitracin2. Polymixin B3. Neomycin
What drugs are in Neosporin?
Disrupt fungal wall synthesis - fungistatic Some antiflammatory activity Good penetration of stratum corneum
How do imidazoles work?
AntifungalInterrupts active membrane transport of essential cellular precursorsAntiinflammatory & antibacterial
How does Ciclopirox work?
Immunomodulator - ProtopicShort-term, Kids >2
What is used as second line therapy for atopic dermatitis?
Immunomodulator 1. IC2. Netherton syndrome3. Active bacterial/viral infection4. Undergoing phototherapyRisk of lymphoma
DO NOT use protopic if...
Flushing w/ alcohol ingestionProtopic - Immunomodulator
Which drug in this group has a disulfiram-like rxn?
1. CV health2. Colon3. Immunity4. Brain-building5. Skin6. Dec. diabetes7. Laxative
helps lipid panelanticoagulant, heartburn
Antioxidant1. CV2. Immune system3. Anti-cancer
1. Antimicrobial, antiinflammatory, vasodilation, antioxidant2. Inc. cerebral circ.3. Dec. HA, dizziness, short-term memory lossInc. bleeding risk
CA preventionHeavy metal detox
Topical - woundsOral - laxative, DM, asthma, seizures, arthritis
Antiseptic, antibacterialRelieves IBS SzTx Hidradenitis SuppuraativaAnti venom for King cobras
Anemia, atherosclerosis, depression, diabetes, edma, HTN, ulcers