Flashcards in Viruses Deck (9):
What is a lymph node?
Bean shaped organ of the lymphatic system and of adaptive system
what is latent infection?
How is HIV TRANSMITTED?
How do u treat HIV?
1) sexual contact (vaginal or anal)
3) contaminated needles
4)perintal transmittion (vertical transmission)
Can go by placenta during oreganancy
Or> during delivery (moms blood mixes with babies blood)
There is no treatment, just managemnt
How much HIV is present in the uk in men and women
MEN > 67%
Globally, the majority of new cases with HIV are diagnosed in
a) Men-who-have-sex-with-men (MSM)
b) Heterosexual men/women
Deacribe the Viral Structure and Behaviour
1) Genome-RNA or DNA
What r the most coomon types of hepatotis
• 39 yo man, referred to hospital by his GP:
“abnormal liver function tests (LFTs)”
• 2 weeks - fatigue, loss of appetite, abdo
pain, nausea, yellow tinge to eyes
• UK born, normally well, no regular meds
• 12 weeks ago returned from Thailand
• Admits to unprotected sex and drug-taking