Flashcards in WK6 - Syndromes: S/Sx Deck (30)
What is toxin?
- heat accumulations in the body can become toxic
- can also be microbial infections that cause fever, often with inflammation or abscesses
What are two types of toxin?
- heat toxin
- fire toxin
What are some specific examples of toxicity?
- infectious disease with fever (mumps, encephalitis, tonsillitis)
- purulent or suppurative infections (pulmonary & breast abscesses, furuncles, carbuncles, sores, mastitis, appendicitis)
- burns & wounds
What are the key characteristics of toxicity?
- usu. acute situation with sudden onset
- high heat & can transmit to organs quickly
- can be difficult to treat
What are some herbs in the "Clear Heat, Relieve Toxicity"category?
1. Jin Yin Hua - Lonicerae Flos (Honeysuckle flower)
2. LIan Qiao - Forsythiae Fructus (Forsythia fruit)
Herbs in the "Clear Heat from Deficiency" category are used for what conditions?
- LV & KD Yin Deficiency with Deficiency Heat
- also in later stage Heat Patterns (Wen Bing), when there is injury to fluids and Yin, and possibly heat in the Blood
What are the signs & symptoms of Deficiency Heat?
- 5 center heat (palms, soles of feet, chest)
- night sweats (bc nighttime is Yin time)
- fever worse at night; tidal or afternoon fever
- thin, rapid pulse
- tongue: usu. red or scarlet; no coat or thin & peeling
- malar flush
- continuous, mild thirst
- steaming bone disorder
What herb is in the "Clear Heat from Deficiency"category?
Qing Hao - Artemisiae Annuae Herba (Sweet Wormwood)
What is the basic treatment principle of herbs in the "Clear Heat from Deficiency" category?
1. Tonify Yin
2. Clear Deficiency Heat
What are the 3 categories of Downward Draining herbs?
2. Moist Laxative
3. Harsh Expellant
What are the 2 types of interior excess patterns?
- interior heat (more common)
- interior cold (occasional)
What is the chief symptom of interior excess conditions?
What are the 2 types of interior excess constipation?
- constipation due to accumulation of heat (more common)
- constipation due to accumulation of cold (occasional)
How does accumulation of heat lead to constipation?
when febrile disease reaches the interior of the body, heat enters the Stomach & Intestines and depletes fluids, thereby causing constipation
How does accumulation of cold lead to constipation?
cold interferes with teh normal expulsion of stool from the body
What symptoms can distinguish the 2 types of interior excess constipation?
- fever may accompany constipation due to accumulation of heat
- systemic cold symptoms usu. accompany constipation due to accumulation of cold
What herbs are used to treat constipation due to accumulation of heat?
downward-draining herbs that clear the heat and drain the fire
What herbs are used to treat constipation due to accumulation of cold?
in addition to purgatives, one should use herbs that warm interior cold
[we'll learn these herbs after the midterm]
What herb is in the "Downward Draining - Purgative" category?
Da Huang - Rhei Radix et Rhizoma (Rhubarb Root)
What are some characteristics of Moist Laxative herbs?
- mostly seeds or nuts
- they lubricate the Intestines & facilitate expulsion of stool
Moist Laxative herbs are used for what kind of constipation? In what demographic?
- for constipation due to Blood, Yin, or Qi Deficiency (in concert with other appropriate herbs)
- often used for the elderly & debilitated
What herb is in the "Downward Draining - Moist Laxative" category?
Huo Ma Ren (Ma Zi Ren) - Cannabis Semen (Hemp Seeds)
Harsh Expellant (Cathertic) herbs are used for what kind of constipation? What kind of pattern?
- for constipation due to stagnation of fluids in the thoracic or abdominal cavities, or for poor water metabolism
- for patterns of interior excess, such as water accumulation in the chest (pleurisy) and in the abdomen (ascites)
- note: these patients are usually in the hospital
How do Harsh Expellants work?
they drive out excess water (including qi, fluids, and blood!)
What are some precautions when prescribing Harsh Expellants?
- because the harsh properties of these herbs can injure the yin and qi, care must be taken when prescribing any of these substances
- they can only be used for a short period of time [Laura Flowers says once or twice maybe)
Among Purgative, Moist Laxative, Harsh Expellant herbs, which category is the most severe?
What herb is in the "Downward Draining - Harsh Expellant" category?
Gan Sui - Kansui Radix
What is the classic formula for protective level warm-febrile disease?
Yin Qiao San (Honeysuckle & Forsythia Decoction)
- 2 Chiefs: Jin Yin Hua & Lian Qiao
- Deputy: Bo He & other Release the Exterior herbs
- Actions: Disperses wind-heat, clears heat, and resolves toxicity
What is the classic formula for Yang Ming Organ pattern/syndrome?
Da Cheng Qi Tang (Major Order the Qi Decoction)
- Chief: Da Huang (add at end for purgative effect)
- Action: Vigorously purges heat accumulation