The study of populations
Humans have experienced exponential growth over time
Global Population Growth
- Increased food production
- Increased hygiene (medicine)
- Better shelter (engineering)
- Higher incomes
- Slow population growth
- Diverse industrial economics
- Low incomes
- High population growth
- Simple Agricultural Economics
- distribution of ages in a population at a certain time
- Pyramid shape indicates faster growth
Age Structure Diagram
the percentage of members of a population that are likely to survive to any given age.
Average number of children a woman gives birth to in her lifetime.
Moving of individuals between areas.
The average number of years individuals in a population are likely to live
Describes how changes in industry have affected growth
-Basic facilities and services that support a community (water, power, sewer, roads, etc)
natural habitats start being used for housing.
- More developed nations begin moving into concentrated cities for work
- Leads to traffic pollution, overcrowding, strain on infrastructure