Flashcards in MMID Chapter #3 - Firefighter Removal Deck (19):
During the removal of a distressed FF, a member should be positioned where?
In ALL cases, a member should be positioned at the downed members head.
When transmitting an emergency message while wearing the SCBA facepiece, where is the voicemitter placed?
When wearing the facepiece, the microphone MUST be placed DIRECTLY on the voicemitter.
A member will suffer brain damage in how much time?
A member will suffer brain damage without air in 4-6 minutes
* Towards clinical death in 6-10 minutes.*
Which factors will be used to decide which re-supply method will be used?
- Condition of the distressed member's SCBA
- Accessibility for the various air supply methods
- Position of the distressed member
When is the Universal Air Coupling (UAC) used?
The UAC is for EMERGENCY USE ONLY when a member is LOW or OUT OF AIR within an IDLH.
*If the condition of the member's SCBA is in doubt, DO NOT provide air via the high pressure system.*
What are the three ways that air may be supplied to the member through the use of the LOW PRESSURE system?
1) FAST Pak regulator with the MEMBER'S facepiece.
2) Hansen Fitting of the LOW pressure hose
3) FAST Pak facepiece and regulator.
What are the three ways to determine whether an unconscious member has air or not?
1) Turn the purge valve. If there is air, the flow will be heard.
2) If facepiece is on, break the seal b/t the member's face and facepiece and listen for air escaping.
3) Look at the remote gauge of the downed member.
Once an unconscious member is supplied with air, turn the purge valve ______to allow CONSTANT flow of air?
Positioning an unconscious FF on their RIGHT SIDE will provide access to?
1) The members name on back of the bunker coat
2) PRA I/D # (Provides unit and position)
*As long as the SCBA is NOT a spare*
3) Helmet frontpiece of the distressed member which may NOT be the unit the member is working in
4) Engraved I/D # on the side of the H/T
*Unconscious member's tools MAY indicate member's assigned position.*
Who must start the packaging process if a member is found unconscious or is unable to assist in their own removal?
The member who FIRST found the FF must start the packaging process.
What is the method used to package an unconscious member determined by?
The method used to package the member will be determined by
1) the type and
2) degree of difficulty involved in the removal.
If an unconscious FF is going to be packaged for removal, how should he be positioned?
If possible, position the member so that their BACK is facing toward the direction of removal PRIOR TO starting the packaging process.
Through the LEG METHOD and the use of the PERSONAL HARNESS LEG STRAPS will allow which types of removal?
Packaging a member (through the leg method) in this manner will allow for both a VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL removal.
What type of knot is used to tie the waist and shoulder straps?
*Start with the WAIST straps first*
Prior to tightening the distressed member's SCBA straps, webbing should be placed through the TOP end of the shoulder straps to make a?
What is the Drag Rescue Device (DRD) designed for?
The DRD is designed to assist in the HORIZONTAL removal of a NON-AMBULATORY injured or UNCONSCIOUS member.
*It is designed for HORIZONTAL drag ONLY!*
*Members should NOT be dragged up stairs utilizing the DRD.*
Describe the NYLON TUBULAR WEBBING
1" nylon tubular webbing in 20' lengths
Breaking strength - 4,000 lbs.
KNOTTED Breaking strength - 3,000 lbs.
How should the webbing be used?
Webbing shall ONLY be used for DRAGGING victims.
*No VERTICAL lifts should be attempted.