Flashcards in Modern Nationalism: The Music of Bartok and Copland Deck (10)
What makes music national?
- Rejection of foreign models, national program, indigenous text/literature, folk idioms
- Example -- Mussorgsky - Picture at an Exhibition.
- Hungarian, director of Budapest Academy of Music.
- Accessible modernism (Mikrokosmos).
The idea of accessible modernism.
Who came up with the idea of Mikrokosmos?
Bartok was known for...
- For being a folksong collector.
- Integrated fully into his music. Melody, rhythms, modes.
Was Bartok a Nationlist?
Was Bartok a Classicist?
Yes. Used classical form as a basis for musical structure. Not as audacious as Schoenberg.
Copland brought unique ___ to America.
Copland was America's leading composer in the generation following ___.