Flashcards in Beethoven and the Symphony: Beethoven Transforms the Classical Deck (10)
New notion of beauty included more room for ___ in addition to clarity and structure.
Composers are seen as more...
Geniuses, not just craftsperson.
Romantic geniuses suffer and create for ___.
Which aspects of the Classical remains in the Romantic?
Shape (form) and phrase (statement, tension, resolution).
Characteristics of Romanticism:
- Register expansion.
- Active rhythms.
- Harsher dissonance.
- Extreme, dramatic emotional shifts.
- More instrumental and vocal demands.
- Scale of forms is greatly expanded.
Active rhythms in the Classical period was characterized by...
Sharp syncopations and accents.
Harsher dissonance in the Classical period was characterized by...
More satisfying resolutions.
Minuet was replaced with the ___.
- Triple time.
- Typically very fast. Needs repeating.
- ABA often ABABA.
- Literally means joke in Italian.
- The joke is sudden, unexpected.