Flashcards in Septic Abortion Deck (9)
Any type of abortion associated with uterine infection
Signs of septic abortion?
1. Uterine bleeding/spotted in the first trimester
2. Infection signs - Fever, WBC >10,500
3. Abdominal tenderness, cervical motion tenderness,
4. foul-smelling vaginal discharge
Organisms responsible for septic abortion?
Organisms less likely to be isolated?
Polymicrobial – anaerobic strep, Bacteriodies, E. coli, GBS
Clostridium perfringens, H influenza, Campylobacter
Mechanism for infection in septic abortion?
Ascending infection from the vagina to cervix to endometrium to myometrium to parametrium to peritoneum
Treatment of septic abortion?
1. Maintain blood pressure
2. Monitor blood pressure, O2 sat, urine output
3. Start antibiotics (gentamicin + clindamycin)
Antibiotic regimens for septic abortion?
1. Gentamicin + clindamycin
2. Cephalosporins OR penicillins + beta-lactamase inhibitors
3. Metronidazole + ampicillin + aminoglycoside
Timing of curettage?
Four hours after antibiotics are begun
Why observe urine output?
Oligoria is early sign of septic shock