Flashcards in Port refusals of bulk food commodities Deck (6):
Why is data or port refusals difficult to obtain?
- deregulation of ports (no longer government entities)
- information is commercially sensitive
* despite low recorded incidences of port refusal, there is a severe impact on trade relations and supply chain costs
What losses to port refusals result in?
tangible and intangible losses through the supply chain
Outline live sheep exports from australia
- exports 2million sheep via live export market each year to more than 100 destinations
- middle east is by far the biggest market for sheep (Indonesia biggest market for live cattle)
- industry earns the nation A$1billion pa
What is scabby mouth virus?
- disease of sheep
- World Organisation for Animal Health recognises this as a common and minor disease in all sheep across the world
- no risk to human health from eating animals with scabby mouth
- sheep have been rejected from ports d/t this
Implications of port refusals
- trade halted
- increased spends: Development of the Exported Supply Chain Assurance SYstem (ESCAS) to demonstrate: control through the supply chain, traceability through the supply chain and reporting and accountability + improvement to overseas animal welfare
- CONSIDER: risk premiums on sales to high risk markets