Flashcards in R/O - Arthropathies and septic arthritis Deck (23):
what is the triad for gonococcal arthritis?
2. vesiculopustular skin lesions
is gonococcal monoarthritis purulent or non-purulent?
what is the treatment for gram positive cocci septic arthritis?
what is the treatment for gram negative bacilli septic arthritis?
3rd gen ceph
what medications can induce gouty monoarthritis?
- ASA (low dose)
what is the diagnosis for gout?
- synovial fluid analysis
- intracellular monosodium urate
- crystals are NEGATIVELY birifringent
- WBC 10k - 100k
parallel and yellow - gout (negative)
what does plain radiography show in gout?
- subcortical bone cysts
- bone erosions with overhanging edges
what is the primary pathophysiology mechanism of gout?
what is the goal uric acid level for prevention of recurrent gout?
6 mg / dL (solubility level)
where is febuxostat cleared?
what drugs are used for prophylaxis during initiation of antihyperuricemic therapy?
acute attacks of calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition disease (CPPD) occur in _____ (men / women), and osteoarthritis with chondrocalcinosis occurs in _________ (men / women)
what are the clinical manifestations of CPPD?
- spine involvement
- crowded dens syndrome: recurrent fever, elevated CRP and ESR, neck and shoulder girdle pain and stiffness
how is CPPD diagnosed?
- synovial fluid
- positively birifringent CPP crystals
- WBC 15k - 30k
- rhomboid crystals
- pale blue when aligned with axis of compensator
what is the treatment of acute pseudogout?
- oligoarticular: steroids
- polyarticular: NSAIDs, colchicine, oral steroids, ACTH
inflammation of axial joints, asymmetrical oligoarthritis, dactylitis, and enthesitis
spondyloarthropathies are often associated with manifestations in what other parts of the body?
- eye and bowel inflammation
- preceding infection
- positive familiy history
- HLA B27
dactylitis - sausage finger is seen in what condition?
what are the clinical manifestations of spondyloarthropathies?
- skeletal: low back pain (inflammatory), peripheral arthritis, enthesopathy, dactylitis
- non-skeletal: conjunctivitis, anterior uveitis, inflammatory bowel disease, psoriasis
what is the lab eval for spondyloarthropathies?
- HLA B27
what do radiographs show for spondyloarthropathies?
- SI joints