Flashcards in Vocab 1,141 - 1,160 Deck (20):
1) to irritate extremely: He was exasperated by the senseless delays.
1) wise or judicious in practical affairs: a prudent decision.
1) to take possession of something from a private owner: The government expropriated the land for a recreation area.
-- noun / verb
1) compensation, as for an injury/wrong/etc.: to make recompense for the loss one's carelessness has caused.
1) contraction of might not: Mightn't we have some champagne?
1) dull/tedious/without liveliness: a vapid party; vapid conversation.
1) sullenly or silently gloomy; dejected.
1) the moral obligation of those of high birth to act with honor, kindliness, generosity, etc.
1) to catch or entangle: He was enmeshed by financial difficulties.
1) to empathize with: They commiserated with him over the loss of his job.
1) so small or minimal that it does not matter or the law does not take it into consideration: Tax is not payable on amounts below the de minimis limit of $100 per year.
1) easily broken/breakable: Most frangible toys are not suitable for young children.
1) of or like leather.
1) timid; timorous; fearful.
1) an eating or drinking companion; fellow diner or drinker.
1) a form of government in which the worst persons are in power.
1) of or relating to dreams.
-- plural noun
1) persons who have superior knowledge and understanding of a particular field.
1) to make publicly known; publish.
-- divulgatory, adjective