Flashcards in Vocab 1,621 - 1,640 Deck (20):
1) to produce/cause/give rise to: Hatred engenders violence.
1) effusively/uninhibitedly enthusiastic or lavishly abundant: an exuberant welcome for the hero.
1) relating to a blessing.
1) something serving in an assistant capacity: The Slides are an ancilliary to be used with the basic textbook.
1) very hard to perform: Digging the tunnel was a herculean task.
1) to collect; gather.
1) lack of the usual comforts or necessaries of life: His life of privation began to affect his health.
1) to place between or intervene: to interpose an opaque body between a light and the eye.
Curriculum Vitae or Curricula Vitae (pl)
1) an outline of a person's educational and professional history, usually prepared for job applications.
1) improper/unfavorable/unfortunate: Untoward circumstances forced him into bankruptcy.
1) unintentional: an inadvertent insult.
1) to say casually: Someone remarked that tomorrow would be a warm day.
1) attentive; heedful.
1) something that influences some action or state of mind: to induce a person to buy a raffle ticket.
1) the state or condition of being timid or cowardly.
1) sacrificing spiritual values for power, knowledge, or material gain: a Faustian pact with the Devil.
1) to proceed by or take a winding or indirect course: The stream meandered through the valley.
1) a great work, especially the chief work of a writer or artist: Proust's magnum opus is Remembrance of Things Past.
1) to renounce or surrender: to relinquish the throne.