Flashcards in Vocab 1,741 - 1,760 Deck (20):
1) to determine: to ascertain the facts.
1) to overcome with surprise/bewilderment.
1) accord/agreement/harmony: I would never say or do anything not in consonance with her standards.
-- noun / adjective
1) a very timid/unassertive/spineless person: a milquetoast who's afraid to ask for a raise.
1) peaceful; tranquil: a peaceable person; a peaceable disposition.
1) the place of the heroes or idols of any group or the heroes or idols themselves: to earn a place in the pantheon of American literature.
Would that _____ / Would that it were _____
-- subjunctive expression
1) I wish that:
Would that it were so simple.
Would that she were still alive.
Would that I were able to help you.
1) producing/tending to produce crime/criminals: a criminogenic environment.
1) making fine distinctions; discerning; having or showing good judgment: the restaurant attracts discriminative customers.
1) a raised platform, as at the front of a room, for a lectern, throne, seats of honor, etc.
1) the act of plundering.
1) an act of inferring an unknown from something that is known.
1) to make or repair an object in an improvised or inventive way, making use of whatever items are at hand: He MacGyvered a makeshift jack with a log.
1) not capable of being retrieved / irrecoverable.
1) to twine together.
-- intertwinement, noun
-- intertwiningly, adverb
1) to draw a line around: to circumscribe a city on a map.
2) to enclose within bounds / limit / confine: Her social activities are circumscribed by school regulations.
1) to disguise or conceal under a false appearance; dissemble: to dissimulate one's true feelings about a rival.
1) according to: to do something pursuant to an agreement.
1) an apology, as in defense or justification of a belief, idea, etc.: Their reaction seemed almost instinctive and it echoed the GOP apologia for Romney.