Flashcards in Vocab 961 - 980 Deck (20):
1) a highly unpleasant or unhealthy smell or vapor: a miasma of stale alcohol hung around him like marsh gas
1) related to something being putrid.
1) an unpleasant or harmful odor, secretion, or discharge: the unwholesome effluvia of decaying vegetable matter.
1) an accusation in response to one from someone else.: Hope gave way to recrimination with both sides claiming the moral high ground.
1) resentment, ill will, hatred or malice.
1) in the absence of the person involved: He was sentenced in absentia by the court.
1) round of applause, as for some approved or admired performance.: Her portrayal of Juliet won the plaudits of the critics.
1) the quality of being unchanging or unwavering.
1) a command or authorization to act in a particular way on a public issue given by the electorate to its representative: The president had a clear mandate to end the war.
1) reprimand (someone) severely: he was castigated for not setting a good example.
1) deceitfulness in speech or conduct
1) humiliating or marked by ignominy: an ignominious retreat.
1) displaying a definite bias: a tendentious novel.
1) of the same limits or extent
-- coextensively, adverb
-- noun, plural dicta
1) an authoritative pronouncement or maxim.
1) to make nobler or purer: To read about great men sublimates ambition.
-- noun, plural addenda
1) a thing to be added; an addition.
1) a flat, dull, or trite remark uttered as if it were fresh or profound: the platitude of most political oratory.
1) supernatural or occult knowledge; clairvoyance.