Flashcards in Vocab 1,161 - 1,180 Deck (20):
1) the act of spying.
1) a person's social environment: he grew up in a military milieu.
-- noun / verb
1) defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
1) containing or expressing praise: overwhelmed by the speaker's laudatory remarks.
1) the state of being vacuous or without contents: the vacuity of the open sea.
1) arising/occurring after one's death: a posthumous award for bravery.
1) to bring about; effect.
1) giving one's name to a tribe, place, etc.: Romulus, the eponymous founder of Rome.
A votre santé
1) Cheers! (in french)
1) a temporary layoff from work: Many plant workers have been forced to go on furlough.
1) anticipation of adversity or misfortune.
Hoisted by my own petard
1) Injured by my own attack
1) preceding; prior: an antecedent event.
1) the side of a coin, medal, flag, etc., that bears the principal design (opposed to reverse ).
1) characterized by/given to extreme optimism, especially in the face of unrelieved hardship or adversity.
1) prophetic or oracular.
1) to stop and refuse to proceed or to do something specified: He balked at making the speech.
1) the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.
1) to go back and forth: to bandy blows. to bandy words.