Flashcards in Vocab 1,041 - 1060 Deck (20):
1) to utter in a singing voice.
1) relating to a style of fiction dealing with the adventures of a rough and dishonest but appealing hero: a rowdy, picaresque "guys being guys" movie.
1) an official who functions in a specified capacity: civil servants, bureaucrats, and other functionaries.
1) Something false, fake or illegitimate.
1) equivalent, as in value, force, effect, or signification: His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.
1) friendly and agreeable: a convivial atmosphere.
1) morally ignoble, vile or squalid: sordid housing.
1) protection, support or sponsorship: under the imperial aegis.
1) roundabout; not direct: a circuitous route or argument.
1) Of or pertaining to decisions.
1) to flee or abscond: The old prospector absquatulated with our picks and shovel.
1) high-spirited: The award winner was in an ebullient mood at the dinner in her honor.
1) relating to law and the administration of justice.
1) the officials or office entrusted with administrative duties, maintaining records, and overseeing or performing secretarial duties, especially for an international organization: the secretariat of the United Nations.
-- adjective / adverb
1) in proportion to the value: Ad valorem tax.
-- noun, plural lexica
1) the vocabulary of a particular language/field/person/etc.
1) to make less severe: to mitigate a punishment.
Par for the course
1) what is normal or expected in any given circumstances: given the high standards of the food, the prices seem par for the course.
1) a sign or warning that something, especially something momentous or calamitous, is likely to happen: they believed that wild birds in the house were portents of death.