Flashcards in Vocab 1,021 - 1,040 Deck (20):
1) a building, especially one of large size or imposing appearance.
1) any controversy that attracts great public attention, as a celebrated legal case or trial.
1) a forecast or prognostication.
1) a pitifully ineffectual, luckless, and timid person.
1) a platitude or trite saying.
1) a brief increase, as in business activity or political popularity.
1) an awkward and unlucky person for whom things never turn out right.
1) an alignment of three celestial objects (ex: as the sun, the earth, and either the moon): Syzygy in the sun-earth-moon system occurs at the time of full moon and new moon.
1) to divide (a country, territory, etc.) into small, quarrelsome, ineffectual states: a movement to balkanize minority voters.
1) to repeat: They reprised the elaborate dance number in the third act.
-- noun / verb
1) empty boasting or a boasting person.
1) squalid; shabby: a mangy little suburb.
1) having a rough surface / scandalous / full of difficulties.
-- adverb / adjective
1) on the spur of the moment; without preparation: Questions were asked extempore from the floor.
1) superiority in weight, power, numbers, etc.: The preponderance of votes is against the proposal.
1) of, pertaining to, characterized by, or aiming toward unity: the unitary principles of nationalism.
1) to bow down or to express a servile attitude.
1) compulsion by threat or force; coercion; constraint.
-- noun / verb
1) the setting right of what is wrong: redress of abuses.