Flashcards in Vocab 1,761 - 1,780 Deck (20):
verb / noun
1) a 1st public appearance: She decided to debut with several other violinists.
1) a person who betrays his or her own country by aiding an invading enemy, often serving later in a puppet government.
1) the number of members of a group required to be present to transact business.
1) to reduce to fine spray or to become vague/indistinct/nebulous.
1) unskillful/bungling/tactless: to handle a diplomatic crisis in a very maladroit way.
1) to assault: to assail one's opponent with slander.
The light assailed their eyes.
1) an expert or connoisseur.
1) to add something to the beginning of something else: You forgot to prepend "I personally believe" to the statements you are making.
1) the sequential order in which past events occur: The chronology of the last part of his reign is uncertain.
1) a pretentiously showy façade intended to mask an embarrassing/shabby fact/condition: It was a Potemkin village of technology, camera-ready but a long way short of leaving the ground.
1) congenial / like-minded / likable: I find our new neighbor simpatico in every respect.
1) awakening memories of something similar: His style of writing is reminiscent of Melville's.
1) to represent in a historic context.: Their goal is not to destroy Western culture but to historicize it.
1) a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation, attack, or criticism: repeated diatribes against the senator.
1) very bad/utterly detestable/abominable/abhorrent.: an execrable stage performance.
1) leading to salvation: He has taken several salvific actions to redeem himself.
1) worn out / exhausted of vigor or energy: an effete, overrefined society.
1) dejected; dispirited; discouraged.
1) absolute; unqualified and unconditional: a categorical denial.