Flashcards in Work and Unemployment Deck (41)
Who saw coming changes in workplaces?
Large, complex organizations employing specialized workers.
Where did bureaucracies originate?
Who described a legal-rational authority structure?
How did Max Weber describe bureaucracies?
Legal-rational authority structure.
Bureaucracy puts us in an...
"Iron Cage of Rationality."
What does the song "Boiled Frogs" by Alexisonfire discuss and demonstrate?
Putting more and more stress on father to pressure him to quit to avoid paying pension. Acclimatized. Frog will jump out of boiling water, but will stay in water that is gradually heated up. Powerlessness, alienation, and meaninglessness of work.
Process by which the principles of the fast-food restaurant are coming to dominate more of the world.
Who came up with McDonaldization?
McDonaldization is an end result. True or false?
Process, not end results.
What are the primary components of McDonaldization?
- Efficiency — line up, assembly line, drive-thru.
- Calculability — speed of service, time by customer in store.
- Predictability — standardized operations.
- Control — of customer, of employee, by technology.
Irrationality of Rationality
Rationality denies humanity.
What does the SF perspective say about work and unemployment?
- Economic Institution — Benefits society as a whole.
- Provides necessities for us.
- contributes to social stability.
- Surplus material and wealth can be allocated to other social uses.
How can anomie play into work and unemployment?
Changing labour (such as techno-stress), or weak or unclear arms and values. Linked to social problems.
What does the conflict perspective say about work and unemployment?
Capitalism leads to Exploitation, which leads to Inequality.
According to the conflict perspective, how does alienation play out?
What is the result of alienation in the conflict perspective?
Feminist perspectives on work and unemployment:
- Constraints of gender role divisions between the public and private world of paid employment and domestic work.
- Benefits of women’s subordination accrue primary to men.
SI perspective on work:
Work role: central part of a person’s identity.
Reciprocal relationship in SI perspective.
- Definitions and meanings influence behaviour.
- Attitudes and behaviours are influenced by interaction with others in the work
Where is child labour common?
Examples of child labour:
- Domestic labour.
- Manual labour.
What happened in Malawi?
78,000 Malawi children' lives were lost as collateral damage to multinational decisions for cheap tobacco.
What are the 4 causes of child labour?
2. Economic exploitation.
3. Social values.
4. Lack of access to education.
Children who are exposed to child labour are at risk for:
- Health problems.
- Industrial injuries and diseases.
- Physical abuse.
- Acquiring HIV and STD’s.
Does child labour decrease poverty?
No, it increases poverty. The low pay for children keeps adult wages down.
What are some work-family concerns with work?
- Dual-earner family.
- Work-life balance.
- Affordable, quality child care.
- Social programs to support families.
Dual-earner families are now the ___.
There is ___ work-life balance than ever before.
- Employment in a job that is:
- Is not equal with one’s skills, experience, or education.
- Involves working fewer hours than desires.
What are the 2 types of unemployment?
1. Structural unemployment.
2. Discriminatory unemployment.
There are lots of plumbers, so there are no plumbing jobs.
Unemployed because you are African-American.
What are causes of unemployment?
- Corporate downsizing.
- Job exportation.
Job seekers with ___ ___ ___ on their resumes get more responses from employers in the 3 largest cities.
Common Anglophone names.
Example of subconscious discrimination.
Job seekers with common Anglophone names on their resumes get more responses from employers in 3 largest cities.
What are the personal consequences of unemployment and underemployment?
Anxiety, depression, alcohol abuse, lowered self-esteem and confidence.
What are the family and community consequences of unemployment and underemployment?
Linked to family violence.
What are the health consequences of unemployment and underemployment?
Loss of supplemental health care benefits.
What are the economic consequences of unemployment and underemployment?
Decline in an individual's standard of living.