Flashcards in 2.3 Purifying DNA Experiment Deck (12):
1. Break up cells using a ...
2. Make solution what should it contain?
3. What do you add to the detergent solution in a beaker?
The broken up cells
4. Now you incubate the solution, at what temperature and how long for?
What does the detergent in the mix do?
Breaks down cell membranes
What does the salt in the solution do?
Binds to DNA causing it to clump
What does the temperature of the water bath do?
Stops enzymes working and breaking down the DNA
5. Now what do you put the mixture in? And what do you then do?
Ice bath to cool
Once cooled filter the mixture and transfer sample into clean boiling tube
6. Next add protease enzymes, what do they do?
Break down proteins in mixture
6. Also add RNAse enzyme, what will this do?
Break down any RNA in mixture
7. Now what do you dribble down the side of the tube and what does it do?
Forms layer on top of mixture