Dental work, inhalation, IUD
- A break in the mucosal barrier is a pre-requisite for infection (OPPURTUNISTIC)
- forms a Chronic granulomatous lesions that become suppurate & form abscesses
- Resistance to ROS reactive oxygen species prevents killing by PMNs
- Bacteria form anaerobic anoxic abscess, which further protects replicating bacteria
- Actinomyces “Lumpy Jaw” Cervicofacial
- Actinomyces Mycetoma
- Pelvic actinomycosis
- CNS actinomycosis
what history is important for Actinomyces “Lumpy Jaw” Cervicofacial?
Poor oral hygiene,
history of dental disease or oral trauma
Actinomyces Mycetoma will present with what?
Chronic subcutaneous infection
Usually in foot or lower leg
actinomyces israelii is part of what normal flora?
part of normal respiratory flora
what is characteristic of an actinomyces israelii infection?
sulfur granule (dense mass of bacteria surrounding PMNs) seen in patient samples
is it acid-fast?
Does it contain mycolic acids in cell wall?
besides the sulfur granule, what else is characteristic of an infectino with actinomyce israelii?
what is Pelvic actinomycosis?
what does it lead to?
- primary infection in a woman with IUD or sec infection from abdomen
- Vaginitis OR tissue destruction including tubo-ovarian abscesses or urethral obstruction
what is CNS actinomycosis?
solitary brain abscess or meningitis, subdural empyema