Flashcards in Acute leukemia Deck (14)
what are the exposure related etiologies for acute leukemia?
is organomegaly common in AML?
what is an Auer rod?
fused lysosomes and neutrophilic granules with enzymes and crystalline inclusions
what structure is pathognomonic for AML?
where is bone marrow usually taken?
posterior iliac crest
what is the treatment for AML in patients under 60 years of age?
7 plus 3
7 days of cytarabine, 3 days of daunorubicin
obliterates bone marrow
what is involved in the AML induction support?
1. irradiation of all blood products
3. prophylactic abx
what is tumor lysis syndrome?
uric acid shower following death of logs of cells
what is the cause of APL?
1. chromosome translocation t(15,17)
2. fusion of PML/RARa
3. inhibits transcription of genes involved in promyelocytic differentiation
what is the treatment for APL?
1. all trans-retinoic acid (ATRA) - maturation agent
2. 7 plus 3 induction
what is a major adverse effect involved with APL?
what is the treatment for ALL in adults?
1. induction chemotherapy
2. bone marrow transplantation
in which acute leukemia does maintenance therapy have a role?