Flashcards in Pathology of anemia Deck (13)
decreased RBC mass affecting tissue oxygenation
in H&E staining, do immature RBCs stain darker or lighter?
darker - more RNA
normoblastic RBCs will be seen in what type of anemia?
what are the morphological features of spherocytes?
small, round, no central pallor
what conditions could cause the presence of spherocytes?
1. hereditary spherocytosis
2. autoimmune hemolytic anemia
in what conditions could schistocytes be present?
1. microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (DIC, TTP, HUS)
2. other hemolytic anemias
what are the causes of basophilic stippling / punctate basophilia?
1. lead poisoning (coarse stippling)
2. severe anemia
3. severe infection
4. drug exposure
what are howell jolly bodies?
nuclear remnants (larger than basophilic stippling)
what is the cause of howell jolly bodies?
1. absence of spleen
what are the common causes of macrocytic anemia?
1. B12 / folate deficiency
2. alcohol use
3. liver disease
what is the pathogenesis of macrocytic anemia?
1. defective DNA synthesis (B12/folate deficiency)
2. increased RBC membrane (lipid alterations - alcohol use)