Flashcards in AGENTS, CONTROLLING THE FUNCTIONS OF THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM - Ethyl alcohol Deck (20):
Alcohol may cause
- CNS depression
Increases body heat loss
True or False. It is undesirable to take alcohol before going outdoors when it extremely cold, but it may be harmless to take some after coming into a warm place from the cold.
The most common medical complication of alcohol abuse is
- Liver failure including liver cirrhosis
- Tolerance and physical dependence
- Generalized symmetric peripheral nerve injury, ataxia and dementia
Effect of moderate consumption of alcohol on plasma lipoproteins is
Raising serum levels of high-density lipoproteins
Which metabolic alterations may be associated with chronic alcohol abuse?
Severe loss of potassium and magnesium
- SNS depressants
- Hypoglycemic agents
Which drugs is most commonly used for causing a noxious reaction to alcohol by blocking its
Which agents is an inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenase?
Indicate the drug, which alters brain responses to alcohol
Which agents is an opioid antagonist?
Alcohol causes an acute increase in the local concentrations of
Management of alcohol withdrawal syndrome contains
- Restoration of potassium, magnesium and phosphate balance
- Thiamine therapy
- Substituting a long-acting sedative-hypnotic drug for alcohol
Indicate the drug, which decreases the craving for alcohol or blunts pleasurable “high” that comes with renewed drinking
The symptoms resulting from the combination of disulfiram and alcohol are
The combination of disulfiram and ethanol leads to accumulation of
True or False. The combination of naltrexone and disulfiram should be avoided since both drugs are potential hepatotoxins.
Indicate the “specific” modality of treatment for severe methanol poisoning
- Dialysis to enhance removal of methanol
- Alkalinization to counteract metabolic acidosis
- Suppression of metabolism by alcohol dehydrogenase to toxic products
Which agents may be used as an antidote for ethylene glycol and methanol poisoning?