/ ək'seləreɪt /
1. If a process accelerates or if something accelerates it, it happens faster than usual or sooner than you expect :
>>measures to accelerate the rate of economic growth
2. If a vehicle or someone who is driving it accelerates, it starts to go faster OPP decelerate :
>>The car accelerated smoothly away.
+ Làm nhanh thêm, tăng mau hơn
/ ə'pi:l /
1. To make a serious public request for help, money, information etc
>>Church and community leaders have appealed for calm.
>>Farmers have appealed to the government for help.
2. If someone or something appeals to you, they seem attractive and interesting
>>The programme appeals to young children.
+ Yêu cầu giúp đỡ, khẩn khoản
+ Hấp dẫn, lôi cuấn
+ Kháng cáo, chống án
/ 'klæsɪfaɪ /
1. To decide what group something belongs to → classification
classify something as/under something
>>In law, beer is classified as a food product.
2. To regard people or things as belonging to a particular group because they have similar qualities → classification :
>>As a musician, Cage is hard to classify.
— classifiable adjective
+ Phân loại
/ kə'mjutə /
- Someone who travels a long distance to work every day
/ kən'sum /
1. To use time, energy, goods etc → consumption :
>>Only 27% of the paper we consume is recycled.
2. To eat or drink something → consumer , consumption :
>>Alcohol may not be consumed on the premises.
3. If a feeling or idea consumes you, it affects you very strongly, so that you cannot think about anything else :
>>She was scared by the depression which threatened to consume her.
+ Ăn uống, tiêu dùng
/ ɪm'breɪs /
1. To put your arms around someone and hold them in a friendly or loving way SYN hug :
>>Jack warmly embraced his son.
2. To eagerly accept a new idea, opinion, religion etc :
>>We hope these regions will embrace democratic reforms.
3. To include something as part of a subject, discussion etc :
>>This course embraces several different aspects of psychology.
+ Ôm, nắm lấy, bao quát, gồm
/ fleə /
1. A natural ability to do something very well SYN talent :
>>Jo has a flair for languages.
2. A way of doing things that is interesting and shows imagination
>>a job for which artistic flair is essential
+ Năng khiếu
/ flum /
- Along narrow structure built for water to slide down, which is used to move water or wood, or which people slide down for fun :
+ Máng, khe
/ 'hæmpə /
- To make it difficult for someone to do something :
>>She tried to run, but was hampered by her heavy suitcase.
+ Vướng, cản trở, ngăn trở
/ ɪn'sentɪv /
- Something that encourages you to work harder, start a new activity etc → motivation :
>>Awards provide an incentive for young people to improve their skills.
+ Sự khích lệ
+ Khuyến khích, khích lệ, động viên [adj]
/ mɑrkt /
1. Very easy to notice SYN noticeable :
>>The patient showed a marked improvement in her condition after changing medication.
2. marked man/woman a person who is in danger because someone wants to harm them
— markedly / mɑkədli / adverb :
+ Rõ ràng, rõ rệt
/ 'mɑ: nəteri /
- Relating to money, especially all the money in a particular country :
>>the government’s tight monetary policy
+ Thuộc tiền tệ
/ 'plɒdɪŋ /
- Slow or thorough and not exciting :
+ Lê bước đi, ráng sức, cật lực
/ 'rʊərəl /
1. Happening in or relating to the countryside, not the city OPP urban :
>>a rural setting
2. Like the countryside or reminding you of the countryside :
>>It’s very rural round here, isn’t it ?
+ Thuộc nông thôn
/ spæn /
1. To include all of a period of time :
>>A career which spanned nearly 60 years
2. To include all of a particular space or area :
>>The Mongol Empire spanned much of Central Asia.
3. If a bridge spans an area of water, especially a river, it goes from one side to the other
+ Mở rộng, xoè rộng, bắc ngang qua
+ Nối (từ giai đoạn này quà giai đoạn khác)
/ sprɔl /
1. To lie or sit with your arms or legs stretched out in a lazy or careless way :
>>He sprawled out on the sofa.
2. If buildings sprawl, they spread out over a wide area in an untidy and unattractive way :
>>The town seemed to sprawl for miles.
+ Nằm ườn ra,
+ Nằm ngổn ngang, trải ngổn ngang
/ sə'bɜbən /
1. Related to a suburb, or in a suburb :
>>a quiet, suburban street
2. Boring and typical of people who live in the suburbs :
>>narrow-minded, suburban attitudes
+ Thuộc khu ngoại ô
/ ɜbən /
1. Relating to towns and cities OPP rural → suburban :
>>the deprived sections of the urban population
+ Thuộc nội thành