Flashcards in Lecture 19- Female Reproductive Deck (14):
What are the layers of the ovary?
1) surface epithelium (simple cuboidal)
2) tunica albuginea (dense CT capsule)
3) cortex (CT stroma with ovarian follicles)
4) medulla (loose CT with blood vessels)
Where are the follicles found?
What is an ovarian follicle?
- oocyte and its surrounding cells
- there are different maturation stages of the follicle
- primordial, primary, secondary, mature
Oogonia (germ cells) divide by mitosis to what two daughter cells?
oogonia and primary oocyte
How many primordial follicles are females born with?
When is the primary oocyte arrested?
What effect does FSH have on the primordial follicle?
- Oocyte growth
- Follicular cell proliferation
- Stromal fibroblast proliferation and differentiation
What is the zona pellucida?
Rim of glycoproteins, important for sperm binding
What extra layer is found in the multilaminar primary follicle?
What layers are found in the secondary follicle?
- zona pellucida
- corona radiata ( granulosa cells)
- follicular antrum (fluid filled)
- membrana granulosa
What does the theca interna secrete?
What does the theca externa do?
In general, how do the cells of the theca interna differ form the theca externa?
the cells in the theca interna are more round