Flashcards in ENGINES / THRUST LEVERS Deck (32):
What controls the engines in all operating regimes?
FADEC’s (Full Authority Digital Engine Controls)
What functions does the FADEC control?
• Fuel metering
• Engine limits based on thrust lever angle
• Start sequencing
• Provides engine indications and thrust limit displays on the E/WD
What redundancy does the FADEC have?
Dual channel redundancy – one channel is active while the other is standby
What is the power source for the FADEC?
• The system has its own alternator making it independent of the aircraft electrical system when N2
is above a set value
• If this alternator fails the FADEC automatically switches to aircraft electrical power
When will the FADEC abort a start?
• Only during a normal automatic start on the ground
• Hot start
• Stalled start
• No ignition
If the FADEC detects a fault during automatic start, is any crew intervention required?
No. The FADEC will discontinue the start, clear the engine, and attempt a restart (if warranted) automatically
When does the FADEC command a higher engine idle speed?
• Bleed demands
• Approach Configuration
• High engine or IDG temperatures
How many igniters fire during a Normal automatic ground start sequence?
• One igniter with the other serving as a backup
• The FADEC automatically alternates the igniters (A and B) at each start
How many igniters fire on Manual or In-flight starts?
Both A and B
When does continuous ignition automatically operate?
• Approach idle selected (in flight, slats extended)
• Engine Anti-ice ON
• Engine flameout detection
• Failure of the EIU
What are the 5 detent positions of the thrust levers?
• FLX MCT
• IDLE REV
• MAX REV
On the ground, how do you arm the A/THR?
• By setting the thrust levers in the TOGA or FLEX gate (with a FLEX temperature inserted in the MCDU)
• At least one FD bust be ON for A/THR to arm during takeoff
What is the active range of the A/THR?
• Just above IDLE to the CL detent (2 engines)
• Just above IDLE to the MCT detent (1 engine)
What is the normal operational position of the thrust levers when A/THR is active?
The CL detent
What determines the maximum thrust the A/THR system will be able to command?
The position detent of the thrust lever
What are 3 ways to disconnect the A/THR?
• A/THR pb
• Instinctive Disconnect buttons
• Thrust Levers to IDLE
What is the preferred method of disconnecting A/THR?
Set the thrust levers to match the TLA to the existing EPR and disconnect using the instinctive disconnect pb
How do you disconnect the A/THR for the remainder of the flight?
Press and hold an Instinctive Disconnect button for 15 seconds
Will you be able to restore A/THR?
What else will you lose?
Alpha Floor Protection
What happens to thrust and what annunciates on the FMA when you reach Alpha Floor?
• Thrust – TOGA
• FMA – A.FLOOR
What occurs during Alpha Floor protection after speed increases above VLS?
FMA changes to TOGA LK
How do you then regain normal A/THR?
• Move Thrust Levers to the TOGA detent
• Press an Instinctive Disconnect button
• Return Thrust Levers to CL detent
• Push the A/THR pb to engage A/THR
When is Alpha Floor Protection active?
From lift-off through 100 feet RA on approach
When would Thrust Lock occur?
• Thrust levers in CL detent and A/THR pb on the FCU is pushed, or
• A/THR disconnects due to a failure
Explain the Normal start sequence?
• ENG MODE to IGN/START
• ENG MASTER to ON
• Start Valve Opens, LP fuel valve opens and gray N2 background appears
• After 30 seconds dry crank, Ignition (A or B) on, HP fuel valve opens
• At ≥ 43% N2 starter cutout, Ignition stops
• Approximately 58% gray N2 background disappears
• Idle approximately 21% N1,58% N2 EGT 415°C, fuel flow 775 pph,
Explain the Manual start sequence?
• ENG MODE to IGN/START
• ENG MAN START pb ON
• Start valve opens
• 30 seconds after ENG MAN START pb ON and maximum N2 motoring speed (min 15%), ENG MASTER ON
• Observe AB Ignition, fuel flow increase, EGT and N1 increase in 15 seconds
• At ≥ 43% N2 observe starter cutout and if on the ground, Ignition off
• ENG MAN START pb – OFF
What controls the engine LP fuel valves?
• Engine MASTER switch
• ENGINE FIRE pb
What does a fault light on the ENG panel indicate?
• Auto Start Abort
• Switch disagreement between HP valve and it’s commanded position
What is the rated thrust of each engine?
• A319 – 24,500 lb
How many transponders are installed?