Flashcards in JAALAS 2010 No. 6 KD Deck (49)
Phillips, Aging Lab Rats.What is a hybrid study design?
A hybrid study design is a cross-sectional and longitudinal study.
How do the authors define mobility?
Mobility refers to the rat's ease of movement around the cage,
What is a frequency distribution?
A frequency distribution is the empirical frequency distribuiton and probability distribution.
What is rank order in statistics?
Rank order in statistics is a systematized arrangement of the data values in ascending or descending order.
In this study, what conclusion did the authors make about body weight measurements
In this study, body weight was not an accurate predictor of mortality.
Howard. Enrofloxacin in Xenopus laevis.1. What is the mechanism of action of fluoroquinolones?
a. Inhibition of DNA gyrase preventing supercoiling and synthesis of bacterial DNA.
b. Inhibition of peptidoglycan crosslinks in bacterial cell walls.
c. Binds to 50S ribosome and inhibits bacterial protein synthesis
d. Sequentially inhibit enzymes in the folic acid pathway, thereby inhibiting bacterial thymidine synthesis
a. Fluoroquinolones inhibit DNA gyrase preventing supercoiling and synthesis of bacterial DNA.
2. What is the active metabolite of enrofloxacin that was also found in the water of these frogs?
3. The half-life of enrofloxacin in African clawed frogs is most similar to which of the following?
a. The half-life is similar to mammals.
4. Why was it not possible to bioavailability of IM or SQ injection of enrofloxacin in this study?
Bioavailability (the extent of systemic absorption) can only be meausred by comparing the IM or SQ area under the curve (AUC) with the AUC from and IV dose. IV dosing is not possible.
Papp. Cefovecin in Squirrel Monkey (Saimiri sclureus), Rhesus macaques (Maca mulatta), and Cynomologus Macaques (Macaca fascicularis).What class of antibiotics is cefovecin?
What is the effective cephalosporin concentration to achieve successful therapy
90% of the minimum inhibitory concentration of the targeted pathogen
What species is cefovecin currently labeled for use in?
Dog and cat
What is cefovecin used to treat currently?
Skin, soft tissue, and urinary tract infections
Wilson. ELISA to detect Giardia in Ovis aries.1. A highly sensitive test is a measure of true ______ in a population
A highly sensitive test is a measure of true positives.
2. A highly specific test is a measure of true _______ in a population
A highly specific test is a measure of true negatives in a population.
3. What are the morphologic forms of giardia?
Cysts and trophozoites
4. Do sheep usually present with clinical signs of giardia
Not in this case.
Wolf et al. Generation of a Specific-Pathogen-Free Baboon Colony.1. An effective for development of a baboon colony free of multiple viruses consists of;
a. Early removal of infants from dams
b. Housing in small peer groups
c. Frequent virus testing
d. Aggressive culling of virus-positive animals
e. All of the above
e. All of the above.
2. The gastrointestinal parasites; Trichuris trichuria, Strongyloides stercoralis and Strongyloides fulleborni have been included recently in the list of agents targeted for exclusion in SPF baboon program in this facility. True or False
3. Treatment of baboons with fenbendazole or fenbendazole-containing primate diet can eliminate Trichuris from single- and group-housed baboons. True or False?
Gadad et al. Effect of Fenbendazole on Three Behavioral Tests in Male C57BL/6N Mice.1. What are the two primary pinworms of concern in laboratory mice?
Syphacia muris and Aspicularis tetraptera
2. What type of drug is fenbendazole?
3. How does fenbendazole work to eliminate pinworms
Absorbed from the GI tract and metabolized in the liver to its active form. The drug is a microtubule polymerization inhibitor and binds to the structural protein beta tubulin.
Gruda et al. A System for Implanting Laboratory Mice with Light-Activated Microtransponders.Which is not a feature of a light-activated microtransponder?
a. Its small size makes it easy to place
b. It is relatively inexpensive
c. There is minimum training involved for placement and reading of the microtransponder
d. Placement requires anesthesia
d. Placement does not require anesthesia
What was the success rate of the microtransponder over the course of the study (6 months)?
een et al. Efficacy of Soaking in 70% Isopropyl Alcohol as disinfectant.1. Which properties, if any, of 70% isopropyl alcohol make it useful for disinfection in serial rodent surgeries?
a. Rapidly bactericidal
b. Does not leave a residue
c. All of the above
d. None of the above
C. All of the above (no residue, and rapidly bactericidal)
2. 70% isopropyl alcohol was able to prevent contamination in serial laparotomies of up to how many mice?
B. 5 times
3. What was the contact time used for the 70% isopropyl alcohol on surgical instruments?
a. 30 seconds
b. 1 minute
c. 1 minute 30 seconds
d. 2 minutes
d. 2 minutes
Hu et al. Ligation of Left Circumflex Coronary Artery with Subsequent MRI and Histopathology in Rabbits1. In a rabbit model of coronary artery disease, which coronary vessel is the main arterial supply to the left ventricle?
Left circumflex coronary artery