Flashcards in JAALAS 2012 No. 2 Deck (39)
1. Milk production in rats peaks:
a. At the beginning of lactation
b. Towards mid lactation
c. Towards the end of lactation
2. Albumin in the mother’s milk originates from plasma in rats. T or F
True or False. Saguinus oedipus are listed on the critically endangered species list.
Cotton-top tamarins are animal models of:
2. Spontaneous ulcerative colitis, colonic adenocarcinoma, Epstein-Barr Virus, early Alzheimer disease
Serum glucose levels in Saguinus oedipus were (higher/lower) when compared to other adult Old and New World nonhuman primates.
T/F: Hypoxic and hypercapnic conditions develop more quickly in disposable than nondisposable individually ventilated cages.
T/F: NH3 levels did not reach detectable levels at any time point in this study.
List some disadvantages of autoclaving bedding material.
Disadvantages of autoclaving bedding material include: personnel time, autoclave energy consumption and maintenance costs, and potential loss of absorptive capacity of the bedding material.
Which governing body has set the human exposure limit for ammonia?
a. Occupational Safety and Health Administration
b. The United States Department of Labor
c. The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
What is the human exposure limit used as a guideline in this study?
25ppm ammonia for an 8-h limit
1. What is an example of a common stereotypy in Meriones unguiculatus?
b. Back flips
c. Self –injurious behavior
d. Circling to the right
1. T/F. In addition to their low implementation costs, microfans are readily commercially available, require little to no maintenance, and have an expected mean lifespan of 20,000 hours under constant operation.
2. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
True/False: Both in human operating rooms and rodent vivaria, use of shoe covers provides useful protection for the patient or animal.
“Contamination” powder was found on which of the following in the rodent room when simulated husbandry tasks were complete?
a. Mouse cage
b. Biosafety cabinet
d. Step stool
e. Bottom rung of cage rack
C, D, E
1. What disease can be caused by Corynebacterium bovis in mice, and what strain of mice is it observed in?
Hyperkeratosis or scaly skin disease which occurs in athymic nude mice.
Which type of screening method is this paper advocating?
a. High-sensitivity, low specificity followed by low-sensitivity, high-specificity for those that come up positive in the initial screen?
b. Low-sensitivity, high specificity followed by high-sensitivity, low-specificity for those that come up positive in the initial screen?
What is one reason that C57/BL6 mice and Swiss Webster mice have different IgE responses to mite infestations?
C57/BL6 mice have primarily a Th1-type cytokine response, therefore the rise in IgE is less than in Swiss Webster mice
How long is the life cycle of each of the following mites: Myobia, Myocoptes, Radfordia?
Myobia 23 days, Myocoptes 8 days, Radfordia thought to be close to Myobia
T/F. All 3 protocols provided reliable anesthesia in mice with a short recovery phase.
T/F. Both premedication groups regimens shortened the time required to reach immobilization after exposure to S when compared to S alone.
During the first 12 hours after anesthesia which of the following was true?
a. Heart rate increased significantly over baseline in 2 of 3 groups.
b. Body weight decreased moderately from baseline values.
c. Core body temperature was significantly lower than baseline values.
d. Locomotion was unchanged from baseline values in all 3 groups.
T/F. Two mice died during the study, one KS and one FMS.
F. Both were KS mice
Which of the following reflexes was not tested as noxious stimuli in this study?
a. Pedal withdrawal reflex
b. Palpebral reflex
c. Skin pinch reflex
d. Tail pinch
1. Benzimidazoles are an extensively studied drug often requiring the use of laboratory rodents for toxicology studies. Which of the following has NOT been linked with this drug?
a. Antiparasitic compound
b. Antifungal compound
c. Alzheimer treatment
d. None of the above
2. Which of the following is an advantage of using honey as a carrying compound?
a. Cheap and easily available
b. Antimicrobial properties
c. Viscosity allows easily emulsification of drugs
d. All of the above
1. Infections with pinworms in rodent colonies can
a. Be asymptomatic
b. Cause rectal prolapse and intussusceptions
c. Hematologic changes
d. Hair loss
e. a, b, c
f. All of the above
2. T or F: In rodents, more than 90% of fenbendazole is excreted in the feces unchanged
3. T or F: In rodents colonies, only the animals that test positive for pinworms should be treated
3. False; diagnostic tests for pinworms often yield false-negative results in low-level infections, and treating only those mice proven to be infected can leave undetected pockets of infected animals that can serve as a source of recurrent infections within the facility