Flashcards in JAALAS 2011 No. 2 Deck (50)
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus is most commonly associated with advancing age and obesity. True or False?
FBG levels of greater than 80 mg/dL and HbA1c concentrations exceeding 4.7% appear to be diagnostic of early or pre Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Rhesus Monkey. True or False?
HbA1c values do not show species specific variations. True or False?
In chimpanzees, FBG levels of greater than 100 mg/dL and HbA1c concentrations exceeding 5.0% appear to be diagnostic of over diabetes. True or False?
1. T/F: Environmental enrichment generally includes anything that is preferred by captive animals.
2. Excessive hair-pulling is an abnormal behavior that has been reported in the following species:
e. All of the above
3. T/F: Barbering behavior decreases with age.
True or False: Group housing didn’t decrease the heart rates in undisturbed male and female rats, of either strain, when housed in the same room with singly housed rats.
In this study, which of the following rat strains had elevated heart-rate responses to acute procedures?
B. Holtzman Sprague-Dawley
C. Spontaneously Hypertensive Rat (SHR)
1. Which analgesic took the longest time for mice to return to presurgical locomotor activity?
2. Which analgesic took the longest time for mice to return to presurgical body weight?
3. Current data suggest that which 2 analgesics are suitable analgesics after major abdominal surgery in mice?
Meloxicam and buprenorphine
1. In a recent article which analgesic did not have any effects on pain attenuation in a surgical model of pain in rats?
2. T/F. Gabapentin acts on GABA receptors to ameliorate neuropathic pain?
Undesirable side effects or characteristics of buprenorphine use in rats can include:
a. Loss of body weight
c. Lack of efficacy vs. other opioids
d. All of the above
T/F. One dose of buprenorphine sustained-release injection at 1.2 mg/kg provided analgesia to rats for 2-3 days.
What of the following is not a mode of action of buprenophine as an analgesic?
a. Partial agonist at the μ-opioid
b. κ-opioid receptor antagonist
c. δ-receptor agonist
d. Full agonist at the μ-opioid
T/F. A non-specific increase in general activity level after buprenorphine administration has been observed in both mice and rats.
1. What are the benefits of premedication with an opioid-sedative combination?
1. Reduction in stress, easier animal handling, preemptive analgesia, reduction in inhalant anesthetic requirements and less cardiovascular and respiratory depression.
2. The authors named this drug as a highly effective reversal agent for sedation caused by Midazolam and Buprenorphine combinations. Name the agent.
3. How should arterial blood gases be stored before analysis? Why?
3. They should be stored on ice. If not held on ice, pO2 values will decrease.
1. Pruritis was exhibited by titi monkeys after administration of oxymorphone, but not rhesus. T/F
2. Which species exhibited a longer half life of oxymorphone?
A. Titi monkeys
B. Rhesus monkeys
3. Respiratory rates were lower in which species of monkey after oxymorphone?
4. The study established that New World monkeys are more sensitive to opioids than Old World monkeys? Y/N
What is the cause of UD?
Multifactorial, but may include diets high in vitamin A or fat, stress, mites, deficiency in nitric oxide synthase.
What is the mechanism of action of maropitant citrate?
NK1 receptor antagonist
T or F? Treating for 10 days is more effective that 5 days.
F - They were equally effective
What class of drug is ketoprofen?