Flashcards in JAALAS 2012 No.1 Deck (43)
The guinea pig is a more appropriate model for human parturition.
True - In contrast to mice, maternal levels of progesterone do not fall at term in humans or guinea pigs.
Generally speaking estrogen is responsible for pregnancy and myometrial quiescence.
False - Progesterone is associated with the above findings. Estrogen is thought to precipitate labor through inciting prostaglandin and oxytocin synthesis.
Oxytocin should be administered IP.
False - It is best administered SQ, buccal and nasal. IP is contraindicated because it is difficult in gravid mice. In addition oral administration is ineffective because the stomach rapidly destroys the hormone.
Oxytocin should not be used to treat dystocia where an obstruction exists.
True - If this is done it can lead to titanic uterine contractions, placental separation, uterine rupture and hemorrhage.
1. Which of the following methods can be used as stress indicators in mice?
a. Level of corticosteroids in urine
b. Stereotypic behavior
c. Immature (CD4+, CD8+) counts in thymus
d. All of the above
2. What is duration of aimless, repetitive behaviors before it can be considered as stereotypic behavior?
a. 10 minutes
b. 60 minutes
c. 10 seconds
d. 30 seconds
3. T/F. This study showed that use of nesting materials did not have any deleterious effect on mouse physiological or immunological parameters.
Chlordiazepoxide is what class of drug?
b. Benzodiazepine; it is the anxiolytic drug given to the rats in the conditioned place preference test in this study
How did the authors intend the use of environmental enrichment (chew toy) by the rats to support their hypothesis?
Use of environmental enrichment is decreased in chronically stressed rats. If no decrease in use was seen between groups, than that would be indirect support that the procedure did not cause chronic stress.
Fecal corticosterone levels reflect hormonal states occurring in what time frame?
a. 1-2 hours previously
b. 3-5 hours previously
c. 6-8 hours previously
d. 12-14 hours previously
c. 6-8 hours previously
1. True or false. The study demonstrated highest agreement between raters for juveniles.
2. Which of these is not a key anatomical site used in BCS palpation?
T/F – Syphacia obvelata does not generally cause eosinophilia in mice, but Rodentolepis nana does.
Based on the results of this study, which group of animals may harbor transmissible diseases that are more similar to colony mice in a lab animal facility?
a. Urban feral mice
b. Pet store mice
Pet store mice
Which of these agents is a zoonotic concern? (Choose all that apply)
a. R. nana
b. E. faecium
c. Myocoptes musculinis
d. Lymphocytic choriomeningitis
A, B, and D
1. Pain-relevant behaviors are twitching, back arching, stagger or fall, and writhing
2. Pain-relevant behaviors can be observed for 24 hours after surgery.
2. False. Pain-relevant behaviors can be observed for 2 to 6 hours after surgery.
3. Buprenorphine abolished completely facial grimacing at doses of 0.05 and 0.1 mg/kg.
4. The current findings reveal no evidence of analgesia from acetaminophen at doses ranging from 100 to 450 mg/kg.
True or False: Humans and mice have the same CO2 receptors in the nasal mucosa.
Which of the following is the most humane method of euthanasia based on the findings in this article?
a. Acepromazine 5mg/kg followed by CO2
b. Midazolam 5mg/kg followed by CO2
c. 5% Isoflurane followed by CO2
d. CO2 alone.
True or False: 20% V/min CO2 alone is not considered a humane method of euthanasia in laboratory mice.
False (This is only true according to the CCAC and Morris Foundation)
True or False. An initial intraperitoneal dose of sodium pentobarbital provides approximately 60 to 120 min of anesthesia.
a. Hypnosis-based sedation
b. Anesthesia based-sedation
c. Analgesia based-sedation
d. Constant rate infusion anesthesia
e. All of them are true
True or False. Opioids are administered parenterally, intravenously, orally, and even intrathecally in laboratory animals.
In ABS, analgesics are used to:
a. To maximize comfort
b. To minimize distress
c. To provide deep sedation simultaneously
d. All of them are right
Which factors should be considered when administering sedatives to laboratory animals?
a. Experimental time course
b. Drug delivery system chosen for the type of experimental procedure
c. Animal size
d. All of them are factors
1. Pigs can be maintained in an ICU for as long as ______ days?
a. 5 days
b. 3 days
c. 7 days
d. 10 days
2. True or False: The Richmond agitation-sedation scale (RASS) was found to be an excellent model for evaluating sedation in mechanically ventilated swine ICU models?