Flashcards in Ops - 33 child abuse Deck (11):
Ops - 33
Child Abuse & Neglect Investigations
Who investigates child abuse and neglect?
social welfare and law enforcement agencies
What is child abuse?
Any situation in which parents, guardians or other caretakers have inflicted physical assaults upon a child, to include sexual abuse
What is child neglect?
Any situation in which parents, guardians, or other caretakers have failed to provide for the essential physical needs of the child to include food, clothing and shelter and that caused or would likely cause serious physical injury, sickness or disability
What does state law require?
that instances or suspected instances of child abuse or neglect be reported by public and private officials such as physicians, dentists, school employees, clergymen and others.
Why should a preliminary interview be conducted?
For the determination of such factors as, physical condition of the child, description of the abusive or neglectful behavior, evidence of parental disabilities, description of suspicious injuries or conditions, . the nature of any statements made by the child,. and any evidence of parental indifference or inattention to the child’s physical or emotional needs.
When should officers take Immediate action?
1. the complaint warrants arrest or criminal prosecution;
2. child protective personnel are not available and time is of the essence;
3. the child is in danger and child protective personnel cannot enter the home;
4. the suspected perpetrator may flee;
5. police presence is required to maintain order or to protect the safety of child protection officers; or
6. the child must be taken into protective custody against parental wishes.
What are the three youth shelters in Chattanooga?
Chambliss Home-315 Gillespie Rd
Gardner House-1408 Chamberlain Ave
Hastings House-1402 Bailey Ave
What are the Requirements for the child to be sent to the Chambliss Home?
1. Children age twelve (12) and under regardless of gender
2. Child must be referred by Children's Services workers
What are the Requirements for the child to be sent to the Gardner Home?
1. A male child,
2. age thirteen (13) and above
3. at the request of a Department of Children’s Services worker