Flashcards in Ops 7 field interviews Deck (11):
What is the purpose of Ops 7?
To guard against any abuse of interview process, while providing officers with a lawful method of obtaining information concerning suspicious persons
Ops 7 covers...
What is a field interview?
is a communication between an officer and a citizen in which the citizen is free to leave at any time and in which the citizen is voluntarily talking to the officer.
When may a field interview be conducted?
at any time a citizen is willing to talk to an officer and the officer has a legal right to be present at the location of the interview.
What is the criteria for conducting a Field Interview?
1. Persons acting suspiciously in unusual locations like closed businesses.
2. Recent crimes have been reported in the area
3. A reasonable suspicion that criminal activity has taken place
4. The area in which the interview is being conducted is a high crime area.
5. The person being interviewed resembles the suspect description in a criminal incident
6. Persons whose presence is unusual given the location, time of day, or actions of the persons
What is a "Terry" investigatory stop?
A stop in which an officer may restrict the freedom of the citizen for a short time
When is a "Terry stop" constitutionally permissible?
when the officer has a reasonable suspicion , supported by specific and articulable facts, that a criminal offense has been or is about to be committed.
When is a "frisk" of a person permitted?
During a Terry stop and only if the officer has reasonable suspicion
The contact with the citizen must be classified as a ? is the officer doesn't have reasonable suspicion.
When is a "frisk" permissible during a field interview?
when the officer develops reasonable suspicion that would support a "Terry" investigatory stop and the officer also has a reasonable suspicion supported by specific and articulable facts that the suspect is armed or may otherwise be dangerous