Flashcards in Seminar G - Connective Tissue Disease Deck (10):
A heterogeneous group of non-organ specific autoimmune diseases.
→Collagen Vascular diseases, they are distinct form the true diseases of collagen such as Marfan’s Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.
Defect in the production, structure or processing of collagen.
Organ Specific autoimmune disease
Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
Non-organ Specific autoimmune disease
• Livedo reticularis (trunk, arms and legs) – netlike
pattern of reddish-blue skin discoloration
• Generally occurs over the buttocks
• Any ulceration should be inspected and bipopsied for signs of cutaneous vasculitis
• Raised ESR
• Raised plasma viscosity
• C-reactive protein
• Autoimmune profile (Antinuclear antibodies, antibodies to dsDNA)
• Urea and electrolytes
• Liver function tests
• Bone profile (Calcium, phosphate etc)
• Thyroid function tests
Serum electrophoresis (with urine for Bence-Jones protein)
Complement (C3, C4) levels
Pulmonary Fibrosis in SLE and RA
→Opacity especially in the mid, and lower zones on the right lung