Flashcards in GI system IV Deck (30):
What makes up the portal triad?
1. Portal vein2. Hepatic artery3. Bile duct
What makes up a classic hepatic lobule?
1. Hepatocytes2. Sinusoids3. Central vein
What is the periportal space?
Located between CT and adjacent hepatocytes; presumed to be of lymphoid origin
What are hepatic sinusoids?
1. Discontinuous endothelium with large fenestrations and discontinuous basal lamina2. Kupffer cells present3. Perisinusoidal space (of Disse)
What is contained in the perisinusoidal space of Disse?
1. Hepatic stellate cell - contractile and CT elaboration2. Microvilli of hepatocytes
What is the dual blood supply to the liver?
Portal vein (75%) and proper hepatic artery (25%)
What is the unique feature of the stellate cell?
Large lipid droplet
What are the components that define the hepatic acinus?
Diamond shaped area bound by:1. 2 central veins2. 2 portal spaces
Which acinus zone has regenerative capacty?
Which acinus zone is first to show fat accumulation?
Which acinus zone is more susceptible to damage?
Which acinus zone has more detoxification enzymes?
What happens to colloid osmotic pressure with severe liver injury?
What happens to blood clotting time with severe liver injury?
What is Gilbert syndrome?
Bilirubin conjugation is reduced
What is Crigler-Najjar syndrome?
Bilirubin conjugation is reduced (type II) or absent (type I)
What is Dubin-Johnson syndrome?
Decreased secretion of conjugated bilirubin due to absence of mdr-2 canalicular transport protein
What is the role of the perisinusoidal cell (stellate cell) in cirrhosis?
Collagen elaboration, contractility, fibrosis
What are the elements of the biliary tract?
1. Bile canuliculi2. Canals of Hering3. Bile ducts4. Hepatic ducts
What are the features of the bile canaliculi?
1. Limited by plasma membranes of two hepatocytes2. Tight junctions
What are the features of the canals of Hering?
1. Lined by simple cuboidal cholangiocytes and hepatocytes2. Stem cell niche
What type of epithelium makes up the bile ducts?
Simpel cuboidal to columnar
What type of epithelium makes up the hepatic ducts?
What are the three layers of the gall bladder wall?
1. Mucosa2. Muscularis3. CT layer
What facilitates spread of gall bladder cancer to the liver?
Absence of submucosa and serosa on hepatic surface of gall bladder
What do the pancreatic acinar cells secrete?
What do the pancreatic ductal cells secrete?
Water and bicarbonate
What arrangement is unique to the pancreas?
Centroacinar cells - nuclei project into centers of acini; form intra-acinar portion of intercalated duct
What are the two primary causes of acute pancreatitis?
Alcohol and gallstones