Flashcards in Vascular biology I Deck (25):
What are the layers of the blood vessel?
1. Tunica intima2. Tunica media3. Tunica adventitia
What makes up the tunica intima?
1. Endothelium2. Basal lamina3. Subendothelial layer
What makes up the subendothelial layer?
1. Loose connective tissue2. Scattered fibroblasts and in some arteries, smooth muscle cells3. Internal elastic lamina
What makes up the internal elastic lamina?
What is the purpose of the fenestrae in the internal elastic lamina?
Diffusion of substances
Which blood vessel layer is fenestrated?
Internal elastic lamina
What makes up the tunica media?
1. Concentric layers of smooth muscle cells2. Variable amounts of elastin, elastic fibers, reticular fibers, proteoglycans3. External elastic lamina (elastin)
What makes up the tunica adventitia?
1. Connective tissue2. Type I collagen3. Elastic fibers4. Fibroblasts
The vasa vasorum contributes to what inflammatory condition of blood vessels?
In syphilis, what component of the blood vessel becomes inflamed?
How does inflammation of the vasa vasorum contribute to the pathogenesis of syphilis?
Obliteration of vasa vasorum leads to focal necrosis and scarring of the tunica media and degeneration of elastic lamellae
What is the nervi vasorum?
Network of autonomic nerve fibers supplying the vessel
Where are the nerve endings found on a blood vessel?
In the tunica adventitia (usually do not penetrate media but sometimes can)
Are the nerve fibers of blood vessels sympathetic or parasympathetic?
What type of junctional complex exists between endothelial cells and smooth muscle cells?
Weibel-Palade bodies are found in what type of cell?
What is contained in Weibel-Palade bodies?
1. von Willebrand factor2. Tissue plasminogen activator3. Interleukin 84. P-selectin
Do endothelial cells promote coagulation, inhibit coagulation, or both?
What kind of forces contribute to segmental modeling of vessels?
Mechanical and metabolic
Do elastic lamellae increase with age?
What happens to vessels in Marfan syndrome?
Severe elastic medial fragmentation with GAG area
What happens to the intima with age?
Progressive intimal fibrosis (thickening) and alterations of elastic elements
Is there a true tunica media in capillaries?
Is there a tunica adventitia in capillaries?