Flashcards in Chapter 13 - Dionysus Deck (51):
Dionysus- Responsibilities as a god
God of Wine
God of Fertility
God of Ecstasy
Dionysus as God of Fertility - Complements
Complements to Magna Mater
- life giving liquids: wine, blood, semen, sap
Dionysus as God of Ecstasy
Ecstatic release through wine, music, and dance
- Madness irrationality
- release from responsibilities and restraints
Zeus and Semele
Semele - who?
daughter of Cadmus, King of Thebes
King of Thebes
What form was Zeus disguised as when he impregnated semele?
He was disguised as a mortal
Conception of Dionysus: Zeus and Semele
Hera tricks pregnant Semele into telling Zeus to reveal himself
- Semele is burned to a crisp as Zeus transforms
- Hermes rescues Dionysus
- Dionysus sewn to Zeus' thigh
Conception of Dionysus: Zeus and Persephone
-Zagreus born from Persephone
-Hera orders titans to kill Zagreus
-They eat him and dismember him
- Athena retrieves heart and gives it to zeus
- Zagreus born again but as Dionysus via Zeus and Semele
Conception of Dionysus: Zagreus and Zeus' anger part 2
Zeus kills titans out of anger because they killed Zagreus
- Out of ashes from titans - humans are born
Etiology of humans being born from ashes of titans
double sided nature
- gross bodies and divine souls
Epithet given to Dionysus because of conception from Persephone
2 historical origins of name Dionysus
or Phyrgia (asia minor)
Where does the name Dionysus actually start appearing?
Linear B tablets
Late Bronze age (mycenaean age)
2 name for Dionysus to Romans
Bacchus and Liber
Liber roman name
-"Bacchanalia" ; which were wild parties in bacchus' honor
Individual Portrayal of Dionysus/Bacchus
Portrayed with Ivy and Panther Skin holding THYRSUS;
What is a Thyrsus?
a pole wrapped with IVY and topped with a PINE CONE
It can perform miracles
Who is Dionysus portrayed accompanied with?
Satyr (half man; half goat/horse)
Bacchae (Bacchantes or Maenads - meaning they can be possessed by Dionysus)
Who are Satyrs often confused with?
Sileni (older satyrs)
Female followers of bacchus
ecstatic mad woman
- wields thyrsus and leopard
- snake wrapped around head
group of followers who worshipped dionysus
- groupies composed of: maenads, satyrs, sileni
Group of followers in ecstasy and "standing outside(oneself)"
Group of followers who are possessed and "having god within"
Ritual slaughter of sacrificial victims
"ritual eating of raw flesh"
Dionysus Lysios epithet
"loss of personal identity"
- the deliverer
- relates to Liber (free)
Who raised dionysus?
nymps and Semele's sister, Ino
- on mt. Nysa
What achievements does Dionysus have while in Nysa while he is there?
He invents viticulture
He embraces the art of wine-making
He acquires Thiasus (groupies)
Dionysus is driven insane by whome?
What does he do?
Hera; he wanders throughout the east (egypt, syria, phrygia)
- cured of madness by Cybele and starts cross dressing
Who is Silenus?
Fat old, wise satyr;
teller of tall tales
Dionysus and King Midas
King Midas capture Silenus
- Dionysus releases Silenus
- owes midas a favor
- Dionysus grants him "golden touch"
- gift becomes curse
- dionysus tells him how to lift curse
- "wash out gift in PACTOLUS river" - near sardis (asia minor)
Dionysus and the Proetids
- Daughters of Proteus (the King of Argos) refuse new religion
- driven insane
- and afflicted by itch that can only be cured by shouting and dancing
Festival of Agriania
Ritual of Pursuit of Women at night
Homeric Hymn to Dionysus and Pirates
- dionysus abducted by sailors
- he was mistaken for a mortal; his bonds miraculously fall off
- crew refuses to recognize his divinity
- ship flows with wine and the mast grows with ivy / sail covered in grape clusters
- dionysus transforms into a lion
- helmsman spared
Where does Dionysus establish himself as a legitimate god?
King of Thebes
- Cousin of Dionysus
- Resists worship of Dionysus
Two people who counsel Pentheus to accept divinity
Cadmus: Former King
Tiresias: Blind Prophet
What happens when Pentheus rejects dionysus?
Theban women driven insane
- they wander mt. cithaeron
Pentheus arrests mysterious stranger, who does he actually capture?
Dionysus makes Pentheus insane - what happens to him?
-He sees double
- sees "stranger" as bull
- dresses up like a woman to spy on theban woman
- caught spying
- torn to pieces
Pentheus torn to pieces - 2 definitions
Sparagmos - Agave puts his head on a spit
- devouring of raw flesh
Story of Pentheus is told in what book?
Genealogy of Pan
Father = Hermes
Mother = Dryope
Part man; part goat- associated with Dionysus' thiasus
Etymology of Pan
- 'pastor' or 'pasture'
associated with Arcadia
Pan and Syrinx
- Nymph Syrinx = devoted to Artemis and therefore chaste
- Pursued by Pan
- Pan transforms her into Reeds - "syringe"
- Pan creates Pan pipes from reeds
Pan and Echo
The Nymph Echo runs from him
- Pan Drives Sheperds Mad; hence PANIC
- Sheperds tear Echo to pieces and only her voice remains
Variations of Echo
- talkative nymph punished by Juno to only repeat words
- Echo falls for Narcissus and wastes away to point where only voice remains