Flashcards in Chapter 7 - Poseidon Deck (38):
Who is Pontus?
- he is literally the fuckin' sea
- metal as hell.
Who produced Pontus?
Pontus and gaia have sex to produce what?
Monstrous deities (mixtures of human and animal)
Who is oceanus?
He is the ocean
- he is 1 of 12 titans
Oceanus bangs who to make 3000+ oceanids
Tethys (female titan of ocean)
How does Oceanus relate to Gaia?
He is a river that encircles her.
What are oceanids?
What powers does Nereus have?
- gift of prophecy
- able to change shape at will
Who are the 2 old men of the sea?
Proteus and Nereus
Who is Proteus?
- wise old man of sea
- attendant of poseidon
Who is Proteus confused as sometimes?
- Triton, son of Poseidon
Who tries to wrestle Proteus for information?
Menelaus - Homer
the 50 Nereids are descendants of....
Nereus and Doris
Who is Nereus?
The eldest son of Pontus
Who is Doris?
she is a sea nymph (essentially an oceanid)
Who are the 3 most important nereids?
Who are Achilles' parents?
Peleus and Thetis
Galatea and Polyphemus
- Galatea - one of the important nereids
- Galatea loved by Polyphemus (cyclops)
- Polyphemus tries to kill Acis and suceeds
- Acis turned into river deity
Who is a progeny of Pontus and Gaia?
Who is Thaumus and electra's children?
and the harpies
What do Harpies mean?
- originally strong winds
- half woman half birds
Pontus and gaia have 2 children that mate and have 2 sets of triplets. Who are those two children?
Phorys and ceto
Phorcys and Ceto have 2 sets of triplets: Who are the 2 sets?
The 3 Graeae
The 3 Gorgons
The 3 Graeeae
- personification of old age
- share 1 eye and 1 tooth
Who is the most famous gorgon sister
Who is Medusa
one of the gorgons
- serpent haired
Who killed Medusa?
What is Poseidon's genealogy?
Son of Cronus and Rhea
What are Poseidon's functions and powers?
- controls the sea
- makes earth quakes because the sea holds the earth
Who is Poseidon's wife?
Poseidon is originally thought to be the god of...
What is Poseidon's epithet?
- god of horse riding indo european peoples
Zeus has an affair with Medusa and creates...
Zeus has an affair with Demeter and creates the magical horse...
Who is Triton? What does he do?
Triton is the true son of Poseidon and he blows the conch shell to calm the seas
- nemesis to Odyssius
2 versions of Scylla's transformation
- seduced by Poseidon and transformed by AMphitrite
- glaucus loves Scylla and gives her a potion that turns her into a monster because Circe (maker of the potion loves Glaucus)
Who is Charybdis?
Daughter of Poseidon and Gaia
- literally a whirlpool/typhoon