thick (hairless) skin
covers what body regions?
palms, palmar surfaces of digits & soles
Integumentary System - functions? (6)
1) regulate body temp
2) store blood
3) protection from external environment
4) detect cutaneous sensations
5) excrete/absorb substances
6) synthesize vitamin D
(5) Hair functions
1) protection from injury (scalp)
2) protection from sun's rays
3) sensing light touch
4) decreasing heat loss
5) protect eyes from foreign particles
Main Organ of the Integumentary System
(3) associated structures in the Integumentary system
Most superficial region of the dermis
Most common connective tissue fibre found in the dermis
Which layer of the integument releases the heat from the body via the blood vessels?
What material makes the epidermis tough?
Distinguish between Pacinian corpuscles, Meissner’s corpuscles and pain receptors in the skin
Pacinian - located deep in dermis & hypodermis
- function to recieve sensation of deep pressure
Meissner's - located just underneath epidermis
- function to percieve light tough
Pain Receptors - in the dermis
- respond to numerous pain stimuli
Approximately how long does it take for the epidermis to renew itself?
What is it?
What does it do?
smooth muscle that extends from superficial dermis to dermal root sheath
contracts which pulls hair shaft perpendicular to skin surface (upright)
What is the outermost portion of the hair?