Flashcards in Lecture 13- Digestive Tract Deck (75)
Where do new intestinal cells come from?
What types of cells to stem cells from the intestinal crypt differentiate into?
- Enteroendochrine cells
- paneth cells
What is the function of paneth cells and where are they found?
- secrete antimicrobial peptide to protect against bacteria
- found at the bottom of the intestinal crypt
What does not increase the surface area for absorption in the small intestine?
- intestinal crypts ( crypts of Lieberkuhn)
Intestinal inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel disease would be associated with dysfunction in which type of cell?
Where can peptic ulcers occur?
Stomach and duodenum
How is the duodenum protected from gastric acid?
Brunner's or duodenal glands in produce alkaline mucus
What helps with absorption of nutrients?
The rhythmic movement of villi mixes and facilitates absorption
What helps with the absorption of amino acids and monosaccharides?
- venules, capillaries, and arterioles
Where are the fatty acids and monoglyerides absorbed?
The lymphatic cappilaries of the lacteal
What controls the activity of the gut?
Enteric nervous system
What two plexus make up the enteric nervous system?
- submucosal (Meissner plexus)
- myenteric (Auerbach plexus) between smooth muscle layers
What is the funtion of the large intestine? (3)
- absorption of water and electrolytes
- microbial fermentation
- storage of fecal materia
What is unique about the muscularis externa layer of the large intestine?
- circular layer of muscularis externa
- 3 thin bands of longitudinal muscle making up the Tenia coli from cecum to rectum