Flashcards in NeuroPsych 1 Deck (10):
unpleasant subjective dread over something unlikely to happen
fear vs. anxiety?
4 signs and symptoms of anxiety?
cognitive: poor concentration
behavioural: pacing, agitation
when is anxiety abnormal?
1. out of proportion to level of threat
difference between exagerrated fear vs. abnormal response?
persistence of fear
6 diagnostic criteria for anxiety DSM-V
1. excessive worry
2. can't control worry
3. more than 6 months of fatigue, irritability, muscle tension
4. impairs social/work
5. not attributable to drugs
6. not better explined by another mental disorder
How is blood-phobia different?
initial sympathetic is overtaken by vasovagal and get syncope
Ways to manage an anxious response?
1. Relaxation training: except blood phobia
2. Exposure therapy
How to prepare patient for invasive medical procedure?
3. what to expect
4. how to prepare