Flashcards in Cognitive Explanations for Gambling - Addiction Deck (6):
How can self-medication explain initiation?
- Individuals may turn to gambling as they perceive this to reduce/treat their psychological symptoms
- Gambling can be believed to control depression when winning and distract from everyday life
How does Biddle help to explain initiation?
28% of veterans studied reached the criteria fro problem gambling
- escape problems in their life = turned to gambling as a way to self-medicate as there was no help from the state
How can self-medication explain maintenance?
- If gambling reduces depressive symptoms individuals will then gamble as much as possible to achieve the same effect
- Try to win as much as possible to feel good + reduce depression
- The losses may make them feel worse causing them to gamble more and more to increase their wins
How does Thomsen et al help to explain maintenance?
- Worse gambling behaviours were found in those with high levels of depression than low; in terms of urge, excitement, no. of games played and duration.
= play more to reduce depressive symptoms
How can self medication help to explain relapse?
- If the individual falls back into depression gambling may be the only option the they feel will work to help